Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Copy from build thread, I greatly appreciate help.

1/1/12 Update - Unfortunately my fan decided to take out my radiator today on the trail. I was able to get the radiator pulled and the fan off this afternoon. Pictures below.

I do have some questions if any one is able to help.

1) It appears the spacer that was behind the fan is 2 inches? What would be the issues with reducing it to 1in and having a wider gap between the radiator and the fan?

2) I pulled the front "sorta" body mount. (Picture below) Does this mount really just work off upward pressure against the front clip? It appears mine was never right and the bushing is too small to put upward pressure against the front clip. Should I just put in a bigger bushing to raise the front grill to stop it from moving? I find it weird that upward pressure and weight are all that keep the front clip of the Jeep from moving. (I got a feeling this contributed to today's damage)

Thanks! Jared

·
Registered
164 Posts
You have an after market flex fan. I would either get an elec fan, or junk yard the oem fan. just my .02.

I've got 73 w/304 oem fan. There is several inches between the fan and the radiator.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Take a careful look at your motor mounts. You probably need to replace them. THe front grill mount will not allow the radiator to move towards the motor if it is worn out. You can run a smaller spacer between the fan and water pump pulley, you just need to make sure that there is at least 1/2" of clearance between the back of the fan blades and the belts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not saying it's the problem, but I have to agree with check your motor mounts. My fan did the same thing on not near as bad just folded some of the fins. When I got it home we found a broken motor mount. Under flex it would twist the motor and put the fan into the radiator.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not saying it's the problem, but I have to agree with check your motor mounts. My fan did the same thing on not near as bad just folded some of the fins. When I got it home we found a broken motor mount. Under flex it would twist the motor and put the fan into the radiator.
I am definitely going to check the mounts again when I put the Jeep back together.

I am probably going with a new 3 row radiator and a 16in electric fan.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The single 16 inch fan most likely will not be enough, Get a piece of 3/16 or 1/4 aluminum and make a flat plate shroud the size of the back of the radiator and mount two 12 inch fans.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The single 16 inch fan most likely will not be enough, Get a piece of 3/16 or 1/4 aluminum and make a flat plate shroud the size of the back of the radiator and mount two 12 inch fans.
I will consider two 12 inch fans, thanks. I am also looking at doing a fan in front and behind the radiator. The Arizona heat is brutal in the summer. I am glad I'm doing this now, since I don't believe the mechanical fan would of been efficient in the summer time at idle speeds in the desert heat.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Find a 360 GranD Wagoneer in the wrecking yard and get the 7 blade (19") stock fan and fan clutch, and be sure to install the factory V8 fan shroud, if it's still available, with the 3 row radiator and you won't have any cooling problems then.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Just go get a big ford taurus 2 speed fan and put it in you will be good. That is what I run with a bbc and i also ran it with my 401 they work good.It was the grill that did this to you the body flex is and pulls the grill in with the front finders and the strut bars I have seen this many many many times we all mount the grill separate now.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
A stock fan pulls about 3200 cfm's so if you go with a electric one match cfm's. Most cheap 16's only have about 1600 and that's why they overheat. You can cut your spacer as long as you have room

1 - 11 of 11 Posts