Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My buddy was just given an early 80's cj5 that didn't have a rear axle. What kind did that year have?? He found an axle out of a 73 for 50 bucks but will that work. I thought there were some years where the axles were wider than other years. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
The 73 will be a narrow track. You need a wide track.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
'72-83 CJ-5 all rear axles were 50". In the 80's they were AMC model 20 corporates. In 73 the rear end was a Dana 44 with the one piece axle, so the replacement you have found should work, and should be a better quality rear end.

Before you buy it, check the width and spacing of the spring pads on the replacement axles as well to make sure that it will bolt up.

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
The 73 will be a narrow track. You need a wide track.
NO CJ5 EVER came from the factory with a wide track axle.

1971K5, as resqme said, check the width and spacing (center-center) of the
spring pads. The '73 CJ's used a narrower rear spring and the frame on the 73's
was also narrower at the rear than the 80's. All you'd need to do is cut off the
existing spring pads and weld on some new ones.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
NO CJ5 EVER came from the factory with a wide track axle.

All you'd need to do is cut off the existing spring pads and weld on some new ones.
Correct and correct.

No CJ5 ever came with a wide track axle. During the CJ7 and CJ8 wide track years that the 5 was still made, the 5 still was narrow track.

This is worth doing, however!!! The 44 is a much better axle overall than the 20, and this one is desireable because it is a one piece model that is the same width as what you need.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I'd check the gear ratio also, unless a gear swap is in the plans.. You might be better off $$$ wise to look for an AMC20 NT, with the ratio that matches the existing front.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay I just found out that's a 1979 cj5. It has a 258 and a 3 speed. What gear ratios were put in these things??

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Likelihood is high that it is a 3.54, most were. No REAL way to know without putting the front end in the air and checking it, and then finding a rear end that you calc to match. For all you know, either may have been modified after it left the factory.

·
Registered
590 Posts
i think the model 20 would be best. It is cheap, and when one pieced, is as good as any dana 44. Atleast thats my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
I stand (and sit) corrected about the wide track verses narrow. I've never seen that info about the CJ5's before- thanks.

·
Registered
221 Posts
71 K5. I have an AMC 20 rear with no brakes. Not sure of the ratio. I also have a Dana 30 front/ AMC 20 rear I am getting ready to pull out of a 79 CJ5. PM me if your interested.

I am in Houston.

Tom

·
Registered
983 Posts
He does not need a wide-trac unless he is 83+. The are 2 different widths, Narrow track and wide-trac. Wide-trac only comes into play on a 83+ jeep.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Widetrac doesnt come in to play unless its a CJ7 though.ALL CJ5s were Narrow Trac.And they made a 1983 CJ5 but it didnt have widetracs.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Here's some differences between the axles for different years and other fun facts
http://www.cj7jeep.com/info/axle/dana30.html
It doesn't go into the different widths, but there are alot of differences between the years to consider.

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts