Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up an incomplete project from SoCal.

Consists of ...

CJ front half
YJ frame
ChevyTBI
NP435
Dana20
Dana 44 front with high steer HD Great Lakes diff covers welded diff
12 bolt rear HD Greatlakes diff cover welded diff
38"swampers on 16" rock crawler wheels
The wheelbase has been stretched to 102"
Leaky CJ ps steering box, pitman arm hitting factory YJ track bar mount so it only goes straight or right.
No dash and minimal wiring. 4switches on a small aluminum dash panel... Fan,ignition, fuel and start.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I was planning to finish the back half in tube. For some reason I cannot justify keeping the 12bolt rear. Also, I want to link the rear but don't want to link a 12bolt. Probably look for a 14 bolt or 35 spline dana 60 or 70. Then probably have to get a dana 60 front too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
picked up a set of radial worn out 37 in Toyos that are actually taller than the 38 swamps. A little wider too.

Also, since Im cheap when it comes to paint, I had to put a little olive drab on the body. I like my rigs all one color and easy to touch up. I think it was looking kinda TowMater theme.

found a cheap stainless steel twin stick for the Dana 20. (That was a nice easy upgrade).

Found a beat up CJ5 tub. I guess this will be a stretched CJ5 to CJ6 dimensions. So I started cutting up the tub to fit what I wanted.
\It is currently 102 in wheelbase but I think the rear will go back another 5-6 inches and the front will probably go forward a little.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
mock up body for tub length. Seems to be a consensus that the CJ6 tub is 103 inches from front of body to rear. Fits my Current wheelbase pretty good, But I think I can move the rear back another 6 inches and open the rear section of the wheel housing. I don't want to comp cut butjust widen the rear opening as far as I need.

Need to build supports for the tub and then piece together the middle.

It looks a lot different with just a tub sitting on the back. I haven't received a letter from the CC&R police yet.

Found some $10 cj5 doors on craigslist to help align the door jams when I put them back in. I doubt this thing will ever see hard doors again. Probably only have soft doors and top during the winter for holding up a tarp over it.

Anyone want to buy a 12bolt rear axle with Greatlakes HD diff cover, welded, ruff stuff spring perches? will bolt into YJ or Toyota pu.
I have the old swampers available too. $200 for all for swampers as seen in first post. all hold air and have excellent rims for Toyota or Chevy 6 lug axles. I broke one valve stem off when rolling them around.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went Craigslist shopping again.....

found a rear dana 60 with 5.38 and spool. Has ruff stuff leaf perches already set up to 40 inches ctc from a Toyota truck. it should bolt right in in place of the 12bolt.

Also found a 1980 Chevy Dana 60 front with 4.10 gears. looks in good shape except for crusty calipers. Will get new ones. Got a ubolt kit from WFO Concepts. Going to steal the high steer arms off another 60 I have for this axle. With new calipers and a drag link and tie rod I should be able to bolt these axles in.

·
Registered
91 Posts
looking good man. love the body stretch! i wanna dovetail my yj but now youve got me thinking of stretching the body instead!:grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Started on extending the back half of the wrangler frame to match the CJ6 body.
Used Dave's Customs Unlimited YJ frame backhalf kit.
It's looking good I think.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Back under its own weight. Just need to finish weld. Even have a bunch of junk back in it.
The shackles are nonfunctional. The old rear cross member just holds the rear of the springs so I could roll it back into the garage while it's raining. I have a built d60 that will be linked next time I get a chance.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 58 Posts