Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone out here can help me with this. I'm in the process of putting a YJ tub on my '77 cj7 and and tub came with the pedal assembly and the YJ power brake booster still attached. My cj had the manual brakes so I know my master cylinder won't work. However a friend of mine has a CJ master cylinder he can send me. Before i have him dig it out an send it to me (which will be harder than you would think since it's in his barn, which is more of a place where old machinery goes to die than a barn anymore.) I was hoping someone would be able to tell me if a master cylinder from a cj7 with power brakes will fit a yj power brake booster. My cj has rear drum and front disc, my friends master cylinder came from a jeep with the same setup. No idea what the setup was on the YJ. Any info on what i'll need for a proportioning valve would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

-Ocybeachbum

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
you should delete this and post in Newbie.

The Wranglers came with disk front and drum rear. My next question is why the Hell would you go into a barn and get an old dried out MC, its cheap to go buy one for the Wrangler application $40.00 and low and behold it will bolt up and work, just change the flare fittings if needed. Next. SEARCH and you will find details about MC's that are from larger applications that will bolt right onto your YJ booster.

But if you really want a CJ booster write me ill gladdly trade you mine for yours. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
48 Posts
ocybeachbum said:
I was hoping someone would be able to tell me if a master cylinder from a cj7 with power brakes will fit a yj power brake booster.
No. They use way different length pushrods between the MC and the booster... as in the YJ booster has a long pushrod and the CJ MC is designed to use a pushrod at least an inch shorter than the YJ one.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Go buy a YJ master. You'll need fittings to mount the lines. The YJ booster setup is superior to the CJ setup, it's a good thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why not just go ahead and use the complete YJ setup. If I recall, the proportioning valve is right there with the MC and booster, not down on the frame so you may have everything you need to use the later YJ setup. Just connect your existing lines to the YJ proportioning valve.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Sounded to me like he just had the booster, if he has it all I agree. Use it all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts