Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had this CJ7 for about a year now. I bought it sight unseen at the recommendation of my brothers. Not my smartest move but I have been able to patch all the rust and sort of learning as I go.

So far I have added a 727 automatic, boat sided it, and added some armor. I stretched the rear about 3" but am in the process of adding a 4 link and more stretch. I am also putting in a 8.8.

Current mini project is modifying the tank for the stretch. I am going to attempt keeping the original tank and welding in an indent to clear the diff. Im going to let it vent for a few days so I don't blow myself up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got everything marked up and cut (both the tank and skid plate). I got the tank boxed in and had a couple of leaks so it took some grinding and re-welding. One pin hole leak left but will get that taken care of this week.

The skid plate was slowing getting more clearance by physics. That was with a 3" stretch. I want 2 more so the notch should allow that

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fuel gauge never worked so I thought this would be a good time to fix. Testing showed the pickup to be bad. I tried to repair it but it was too crispy. The fuel gauge tested bad too but the temp gauge still worked so at least part of the fuel gauge was good. A wire had come detached from the lead that goes to the pickup. After trying conductive electronic glue (which failed) I was able to solder it back on. Tests fine now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
After boat siding, the front fenders needed cut to match the profile. I added some sheet metal to make it looked more finished. I don't have access any more to a pan brake so have to bend metal the next best way.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went to Moab last summer for 6 days. Never had any issues. However, when I loaded the Jeep to bring to my garage for the winter's work, the rear end locked tight and something poked through the cover. Looking at it today showed that a couple of ring gear bolts came off and made a mess of things. I guess I should consider myself lucky with the timing of it. It seems I did not have another 300 yards of driving in Moab.

Also got the left rear armor on. The axle will come back another (hopefully) 2 inches when I link it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thought I had everything rounded up to put together the 8.8 rear end. Have a full install kit, extra crush collar, extra pinion nut, etc. I don't think I can heat up this ring gear to have it slide down onto the carrier.

Box was labeled correctly but tag shows the carrier is for a 10.2. Frick!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got a 76 CJ7 with manual steering (that sucks) with a chevy 305 motor. I want to upgrade the steering system to either power steering or a ram assist. I'll be using it for daily driving and some offroad, nothing extreme. I want to be conservative on what I spend.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Just got a 76 CJ7 with manual steering (that sucks) with a chevy 305 motor. I want to upgrade the steering system to either power steering or a ram assist. I'll be using it for daily driving and some offroad, nothing extreme. I want to be conservative on what I spend.

Any suggestions?
I would start your own thread.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Progress

Rear 4 link is now set up. Working on making sure brake and vent lines are long enough. No joint bind at full drop.

Also working on exhaust, which can be a challenge. All the work on the tank to make room for the differential was a waste, its just not going to work with the stretch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Clocking

I have been working on clocking the 300 to get rid of the mess of a crossmember. I am running a TF727 and because of the wide pan, I have those issues of front drive shaft clearance.

I test clocked the 300 almost flat and I have about .25" clearance to the pan with my test shaft. My pvc (test shaft) is .85 OD. So if I used a 1" drive shaft, I would have only about .18 clearance. I realize that is awful tight. I have considered shaving the pan and mount flange slightly, and use an aluminum pan to keep the rigidity in that area. My current shaft is 2" with 1" yoke, so I don't think a 1" shaft would be any weaker.

I have a AMC case th400 as an option. My hesitation is the cost of the adaptor to the 300 and the extra length.

My question relates to how much lateral movement my drive shaft will experience. My front springs are outboard and I am running a Wagoneer D44, so its a bit wider than stock.

Attachments

·
Damn kids
14,314 Posts
Nice.

Next time you have to weld a tank, run engine exhaust through it. No oxygen. Diesel is best but an EFI car is OK as long as motor is warmed up so engine is in closed loop. I guess any motor is OK is pretty much OK, actually.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Belly

I have the crossmember/transmission mount almost done. I wanted the crossmember to be separate from the skid plates so I could take those off with the transmission still supported. The Bolts for the isolation mount will go through the holes in the crossmember to keep them up and out of the way. I also wanted to channel to be closed everywhere so nothing could get in and not get out

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got the 300 clocked flat, now clearing the transmission pan with the front drive shaft is the problem. I cut the ds, and used 1/4" wall tubing for the area that goes along the transmission pan. I used 4 disks, 2 per side that go inside the tube. I have no idea if this will work, but it clears the pan.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like you know what you're doing! Nice work so far!

Are the rear coils partially in the frame or was that just my eyes trickin me again?

Also, how much for the gas tank?
Thanks. The rear coils are indeed boxed/frenched into the frame. Im still using the tank until after Moab this year, then I will fab a new one.

I got the ds on and the clearance is good. The reason for the 4 disks was to keep everything aligned and it worked. There is a barely eye perceivable run out, but its pretty good. I have hubs, so really a non issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
If you want a full length skinny front driveshaft, find one from a YJ. My 88 had a long skinny one and I never had any trouble with it. Food for thought.
Travis..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.