Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie question here:

I've got an '85 CJ7 otherwise stock with 1" body lift and 1.75" over HD shackles and TJ flares. My original intent was to clear the 33's I had laying around, but ended up selling them off. Now, I figure that if I'm buying tires, I might as well buy 35's and gain an extra inch of clearance. I've mocked up the wheel wells with a spare 33 and it certainly looks like I have room, but wanted to check in to see if those who've already been there and done that could lend some advice to a new Jeep owner. I would like to keep the rig as low to the ground as possibly possible, if that changes anything...

Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks,
:cool2:
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
11,307 Posts
For street driving, yes, for off-roading no, it will rub on your fenders at flex. Since you did a inexpensive setup (shackles and body lift), I would get 33's. It sounds more like you are planning to drive the Jeep and have the 35's fro bling purposes. If so, go for it, it may fit. Again, depends of how much sagging you have on your stock springs. My recommendation would be to get 33's, since the 35's will break your axles if you start wheeling the Jeep. Again, if you are getting the 35's for bling streetdriving purposes it may work ok.

Get 33's, save $$ frm the difference between 33's and 35's, and get a set of actual lift springs :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
geberhard said:
My recommendation would be to get 33's, since the 35's will break your axles if you start wheeling the Jeep.

Get 33's, save $$ frm the difference between 33's and 35's, and get a set of actual lift springs :)
I ran into a decent deal on some YJ springs, so I got them and am gathering parts to go SOA in a couple weeks. Your comment regarding the axles make me a bit curious though... The stock AMC20 is getting replaced with a Scout II D44, but the D30 is going to be staying until I can find a late 70's Woody D44 and $$$ for replacement. So...which axles are you refering to on breakage with 35's? I'm in KS, so no major rocks or extreme terrain, just the bumpy midwest, the occasion oil road and flint hills...

Thanks,
Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
abyssdncr said:
I ran into a decent deal on some YJ springs, so I got them and am gathering parts to go SOA in a couple weeks. Your comment regarding the axles make me a bit curious though... The stock AMC20 is getting replaced with a Scout II D44, but the D30 is going to be staying until I can find a late 70's Woody D44 and $$$ for replacement. So...which axles are you refering to on breakage with 35's? I'm in KS, so no major rocks or extreme terrain, just the bumpy midwest, the occasion oil road and flint hills...

Thanks,
Brian
where are you located at in KS? what are you talking about major rocks or extreme trails? your obviously not wheeling in KS :rolleyes: , you do know about randolph offroad park, ks rocks, cathouse, etc..right? theres wheeling you couldnt even think about doing...do you actually wheel at all?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JoeBob1901 said:
where are you located at in KS? what are you talking about major rocks or extreme trails? your obviously not wheeling in KS :rolleyes: , you do know about randolph offroad park, ks rocks, cathouse, etc..right? theres wheeling you couldnt even think about doing...do you actually wheel at all?
FWIW, I'm around Wichita. I did see a nice write up on KS Rocks a couple weeks ago, but before that haven't heard of it, only Tuttle Creek. Where are Randolph, Cathouse and others?

In all honesty, you probably couldn't call me a real "wheeler" by PBB standards...but I'm working on it! ;) My original motivation stemmed from a very strong desire not to get stuck back in the boonies during deer season. I've since ditched the IFS Toy and got a CJ and am working on building it up. I'm not a pretty boy or a status seeker, just trying to build my rig as solid and as capable as prudent w/o loosing it's DD requirements. I realize now that the thread title makes me sound like a teenage poser...so be it. I just don't want to make silly mistakes in the beginning that I'll be regretting in 6 mo. to a year. Like buying 33's when I'll be looking for 35's next summer...or dropping $$$ into the D30 when I'll be installing a D44 sometime soon... At the same time it would be equally unwise to "upgrade" the expendables to the point that they make the drivetrain unreliable... Thus, I'm asking questions and seeking feedback...

Constructive criticisms and feedback appreciated, as well as smart a$$ comments. I've got a sense of humor too! :flipoff2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
im not a real wheeler by PBB standards..never made my own link setup :rolleyes:

BUT..i do wheel, check out trailkrawlers4x4.org and http://www.heartlandoffroad.org/cathouse.htm and kansaskrawlers.com

trailkrawklers is based out of manhatten basically randolph park *tuttle creek*, cathouse is the recreational park in shields/dighton area, kansas krawlers is based out of topeka, theres lots of other groups too..at least 2 i think...try those out, come up to Randolph with us sometime, and, ask your questions on the TK website, theres LOTS of jeep guys there, and alot of them really knowledgable

abyssdncr said:
FWIW, I'm around Wichita. I did see a nice write up on KS Rocks a couple weeks ago, but before that haven't heard of it, only Tuttle Creek. Where are Randolph, Cathouse and others?

In all honesty, you probably couldn't call me a real "wheeler" by PBB standards...but I'm working on it! ;) My original motivation stemmed from a very strong desire not to get stuck back in the boonies during deer season. I've since ditched the IFS Toy and got a CJ and am working on building it up. I'm not a pretty boy or a status seeker, just trying to build my rig as solid and as capable as prudent w/o loosing it's DD requirements. I realize now that the thread title makes me sound like a teenage poser...so be it. I just don't want to make silly mistakes in the beginning that I'll be regretting in 6 mo. to a year. Like buying 33's when I'll be looking for 35's next summer...or dropping $$$ into the D30 when I'll be installing a D44 sometime soon... At the same time it would be equally unwise to "upgrade" the expendables to the point that they make the drivetrain unreliable... Thus, I'm asking questions and seeking feedback...

Constructive criticisms and feedback appreciated, as well as smart a$$ comments. I've got a sense of humor too! :flipoff2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JoeBob1901 said:
im not a real wheeler by PBB standards..never made my own link setup :rolleyes:
I found a couple write-ups on the Dighton area yesterday...Looks challenging! Thanks for the TK link. I'm hoping to get my rig a few inches taller before heading out again, as I'm getting tired of dragging that skid plate over everything.

I've got a neighbor that I've done a couple link suspensions with on some Cherokees. We did two RockKrawler 7" kits from scratch...pretty sweet suspension! And man do they flex... He's since sold the grocery getter and snagged an '84 CJ7. We just did a spring over with 7 leaf Waggy fronts using the front and rear D44's from the Woody and are dropping in a 360 in a couple weeks.

For my SOA, I've got the Scout D44 rebuilt, regeared 3.54 (for the 176 w/ 35's), and ready for perches; YJ leafs all around, 4" drop pitman; stock rear shackle hangars for the front end; CNC plasma'd new shackles 1.75" over from 3/8" plate, F250 shock towers installed, 94-95 GMC K15 Dsl front brake lines (26"), and fresh shackle bushings. Still need to get the rear brake line and fab upper u-bolt plates and front perches. Front gears go in this weekend... I found a good deal on some (5) 15x10 chrome wheels and will probably go with Pro-Comp 35x12.50R15 AT's because their cheap and because I log 400 miles on the highway each week.

Once that's done I'd like to add and Eaton electric locker in the rear, make a trac bar for the rear, and get started on the D44 for the front.

I think I've got a good thing going here, but am still seeking some feedback on a few issues. I always like to think of myself as being in the "learning" stage, cause there's already enough jeep owners who know it all already! :flipoff2:

:cool2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
IMO you can run the D30, but it will break. Don't try putting any money into it, when it breaks have that D44 ready. Also don't get All Terrain tires. At least get a mud terrain... even with 1600 miles a month, its a waste of money when they turn into racing slicks on the KS rocks.

Also get out the sawzall and start trimming. You can maker the 35" fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MacGyver80 said:
At least get a mud terrain... even with 1600 miles a month, its a waste of money when they turn into racing slicks on the KS rocks.
I did some more checking and High Tec Retreading can get me 5 35x12.50 R15 tires with the green diamond compound delivered for $650, so unless I can find a decent used set for a good price within the next week, I'll be ordering those.

MacGyver80 said:
Also get out the sawzall and start trimming. You can maker the 35" fit.
I've already got my TJ flares on and got an inch to inch and a half clearance all around the rear well and an additional 4" at the rear of the front well! My bud has fabbed up tube fenders for his and custom shock hoops as well. We've go the same amount of fender space and the same shock through thanks to the F250 shock mounts. :D My setup won't look nearly as cool as his, but it should function just as well.

Thanks,
Brian
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top