Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My POS factory scrambler rear flares are kaput-- hell it's an 81, so it's about damn time! :) full size axles dictate wider flares, especially in snow/mud season. (u do wheel year round, right?) TJ flares are too wide/stiff and YJs seem softer-- any thoughts on the YJ v. TJ rear flare conversion? Oh, yes I searched and the dismal results prompt this post. Ideas anyone?
tnx
RARECJ8

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
No suggestion, but how much good are flares going to be doing with fullsize axles? I have fullsize axles and the insides of my tires stick out past TJ flares, which you claim are too wide.

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any flare is better than none at all. the rear is a Sterling 10.25 w/ 35" MT/Rs and about 4" sticks out past the OEM flares, on each side. The Tj or YJs are a bit wider and will offer at least some additional coverage. The factory flares are sun rotted and offler little help, falling apart, etc. Any help is good, as the rig is used year round and water and mud get flogged fwd-- a real mess-- but a little extra flare will help. The usual place for the mud to get flung is right inside the front glass, on driver side-- 'fun puckey!"
mb

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
What about an aftermarket TJ flare like the ones from Bestop? The same steps would be neccesary, you could make them work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts