Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd post this here to give someone a lead if they're interested. Not mine and I know nothing about it. Never even heard of the brand. If it's in the wrong place I apologize.
Carroll and Jamieson Vintage Metal Lathe
Carroll and Jamieson Vintage Metal Lathe. US Patent number 975748 issued Nov 15th 1910. Serial number 1441. 3/4 horse 1 phase 230 volt motor. Overall length is 10 ft. Has a working length of about 60". Works good. Comes with many extras. $800 OBO. Local pick up only. I can easily load it on a trailer

·
Registered
16,106 Posts
If only there was a place where we could post pertinent info about stuff that we wanted to sell or trade.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I'm sure it'll make round parts but its a dinosaur.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Thought I'd post this here to give someone a lead if they're interested. Not mine and I know nothing about it. Never even heard of the brand. If it's in the wrong place I apologize.
Carroll and Jamieson Vintage Metal Lathe. US Patent number 975748 issued Nov 15th 1910. Serial number 1441. 3/4 horse 1 phase 230 volt motor. Overall length is 10 ft. Has a working length of about 60". Works good. Comes with many extras. $800 OBO. Local pick up only. I can easily load it on a trailer
If only there was a place where we could post pertinent info about stuff that we wanted to sell or trade.
Someone needs to learn to read :flipoff2:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Somewhere on the interwebs there's a great writeup on buying a used lathe, find it and understand it before you buy anything.

Off hand - the flat belt drive will be a pain in the ass.
It looks like it has a threading gearbox which is handy but not a requirement.

The spindle bearings LOOK like they're babbit bearings, I would definitely research this before buying anything. If they are babbit bearings and they're worn, there's not really any easy way to replace them, and you will never get a real nice finish out of the machine. Replacing tapered roller bearings isn't cheap or simple either, but its at least possible.

You should be able to find a South Bend or similar more modern lathe for $800-1000 in reasonable shape if you take your time and research what you want.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
So ?

This lathe is not what you have.
It will make chips and that is the end goal.

A good machinist can do great work on a worn out machine, a poor machinist can't make good parts on new machines and all the schooling around.

edit-and, you said after the coolness of owning a lathe wears off, not when the novelty of owning THIS lathe wears off.

You were the one who said that and I challenged you on it, now you're changing your story.

If you can't find a use for a lathe on an almost weekly basis, you have no business on this bulletin board.

·
Premium Member
10,659 Posts

A good machinist can do great work on a worn out machine, a poor machinist can't make good parts on new machines and all the schooling around.

edit-and, you said after the coolness of owning a lathe wears off, not when the novelty of owning THIS lathe wears off.

You were the one who said that and I challenged you on it, now you're changing your story.

If you can't find a use for a lathe on an almost weekly basis, you have no business on this bulletin board.
Shut the fuck up already.
So you've managed to repeat what one of your dads cool friend said once. Woohoo, must be great to be you huh ? Don't you ever get tired of hearing yourself drone on and on ?

That machine is not going to be easy to use or learn on and replacement parts are going to be hard to come by. He can do much better by buying a better machine.

·
Window Licker
14,756 Posts
So you've managed to repeat what one of your dads cool friend said once. Woohoo, must be great to be you huh ? Don't you ever get tired of hearing yourself drone on and on ?

That machine is not going to be easy to use or learn on and replacement parts are going to be hard to come by. He can do much better by buying a better machine.
^Must be a poor machinist. :laughing:

·
Registered
11,202 Posts

this one has a threaded spindle
also no feed rod
oh, and the flat belts won't transmit enough torque to peel off a heavy chip

so yes, this would be one I'd regret getting
currently on the lookout for a nice heavy gear head with less than 20" swing and anything but a plain threaded spindle
one of those would be a lathe you wouldn't regret buying

ETA: and you can get all that for $1000 around chicago

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Not personally a fan of these older lathes. My 1969 Southbend is nice but after running an older 80's Clausing at school I will be getting a newer one when the time is right. Spend 2500 on one and get way more bang for the buck. Ready to use with zero work. Basically any lathe without a modern style motor set up and quick change gear box is a no no.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
this one has a threaded spindle
also no feed rod
oh, and the flat belts won't transmit enough torque to peel off a heavy chip

so yes, this would be one I'd regret getting
currently on the lookout for a nice heavy gear head with less than 20" swing and anything but a plain threaded spindle
one of those would be a lathe you wouldn't regret buying

ETA: and you can get all that for $1000 around chicago
Three of my four lathe shave flat belts and make chips just fine, they also have threaded spindles.

·
Premium Member
17,878 Posts
I had a 1940's Warner & Swasey #2 turret lathe for a year once. Got it for free (should have been the first warning sign). SOB was about 8000 lbs of iron and a 40 horse 3 phase motor with a 10" chuck.

After looking into what it would take to get it going, I regretted picking it up. Ah, to be young and dumb again.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Not personally a fan of these older lathes. My 1969 Southbend is nice but after running an older 80's Clausing at school I will be getting a newer one when the time is right. Spend 2500 on one and get way more bang for the buck. Ready to use with zero work. Basically any lathe without a modern style motor set up and quick change gear box is a no no.
Agreed. Sometimes old iron is cool, and sometimes old iron is just old. Especially in a market like machine tools where newer features that are truly NICE (but, sure, not 100% necessary) don't cost that much more than the old, old stuff.

Quick change gearbox, roller bearings, preferably larger thru-spindles, and any chuck mount that's not threaded is really, really nice to have...........and just won't cost you much more coin.

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
Three of my four lathe shave flat belts and make chips just fine, they also have threaded spindles.
my lathe has V belts and the backgear's idler bearing is going out

it's rigid enough to part 1018 all the way out to 2.5" round
I can't take heavy roughing cuts because the fawking belts slip.
I can't put a drum brake on the spindle because the chuck will fly off.
I could make up pullies for toothed belts and that'd fix one thing, but I still couldn't put a proper brake on it.

It is like a southbend, a dead end of a lathe with limited features that you'll be hard pressed to get out of it what you put into it when you decide to upgrade down the road. Add to that that it is rather large and it gets to be even more of a headache.

or hey buy it then later on be sure to buy some double edged razorblades because you'll be wanting to push them out your ears from your mouth

·
Registered
25,560 Posts

You must be one of the new owners, what with telling someone to shut up and all.

Just why do you think replacement parts are gonna be necessary? That lfat belt everyone is whining about happens to be very forgiving for when a beginner crashes the tool into the workpiece.

As for my father, as we are contemporaries, my 92 year-old father has no cool friends and we were the only ones with a lathe who knew how to use it.

I find it hilarious how so often Pirate will drone on and on about how great old heavy American iron is and then something like this shows up.

If it makes chips, it's likely better than what too many have now.

·
Premium Member
10,659 Posts
You must be one of the new owners, what with telling someone to shut up and all.

Just why do you think replacement parts are gonna be necessary? That lfat belt everyone is whining about happens to be very forgiving for when a beginner crashes the tool into the workpiece.

As for my father, as we are contemporaries, my 92 year-old father has no cool friends and we were the only ones with a lathe who knew how to use it.

I find it hilarious how so often Pirate will drone on and on about how great old heavy American iron is and then something like this shows up.

If it makes chips, it's likely better than what too many have now.

You're the one running your mouth. You're the one who is butt hurt because because of something I said. Get over yourself, you're not all that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts