Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the mint 400 back in action I think I might actually throw my hat in to the ring...

I have been looking around on the internet but cannot actualyl find a good set of rules and regs for a class 11 car..

I have a 63 ragtop that is not nearly nice enough to qualify for a resto.. But would be a perfect donor for the class 11 playtime...

Is this a pipe dream?? how much money am I actually looking at spending on this rig to make it race worthy??

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Is this a pipe dream?? how much money am I actually looking at spending on this rig to make it race worthy??
20k.

You could probably find a 7s truck or a Cherokee for that much though and have a better time.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Buzz kill..
:(

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
lol

A lot less ;)

If I was not nervous about a trophy truck passing me on a bike I would just race a xr650.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
42,345 Posts
Shocks, tubing, intercom, gps, race radio's for the race and chase cars, tires, helmets, parker pumpers, etc.

Pretty much need this stuff regardless of class. For a 400 mile race in a class 11 you will also need lights.

I have thought that a car (not competetive) could be built for around $10k. Might not be super reliable.

I think I would look for an old tube chassis vw powered car on one of the race sites. I have seen them fairly cheap and they are quite a bit faster than an 11 car.

Edit: A car like this and a little work.

http://www.desertrides.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8376

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
The other consideration will be race-prep on the Class 11. You will need to do alot (read full rebuild) of prep every time you race the car, as they take a huge beating. Last year after the B1K, a team rolled up to my trailer in LaPaz with a totalled (rolled-buckled roof, etc) 11 on a trailer. Their questions was where's the dump!

You can surely do some of the prep--but can you rebuild shocks, transaxles, etc after every race on your own?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
jason,
the shit gets expensive quickly. although I think class 11 is very limited. I would hit up www.race-dezert.com and search around. its not cheap, but you should be under $12-15k for a car you can race, but it might not be super competetive. I would really recommend finding an old 1/2-1600 car... I have a stock full build going on right now, and the shit adds up so quickly its insane.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you have ever prerunn a course in a bug you will find that you don't NEED a big fancy GPS a hand held for emergencies is fine or Intercom it's not a 700 hp motor we're talkin' 65ish, hell ya don't need pumpers ,and definitly don't need HID's they don't go fast enough to need to see that far!! if a racer was smart with there money,had resonable fab skills and purchaced many items used he could be well under the 20k mark probably race ready competative car for around 8-10k....

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jason,
the shit gets expensive quickly. although I think class 11 is very limited. I would hit up www.race-dezert.com and search around. its not cheap, but you should be under $12-15k for a car you can race, but it might not be super competetive. I would really recommend finding an old 1/2-1600 car... I have a stock full build going on right now, and the shit adds up so quickly its insane.
Yeah, I started looking into it.

It is amazing how quickly the little things add up.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
I agree with BeatYJ.....a class 9 would be a faster, less "abusive" way to go. Easier to work on and there are plenty of used ones to be found at reasonable prices. I've seen some REALLY nice turnkey ones for $10-$13K.....only a couple years old.
That said, I'de build a sportsman car out of an old 10/12/1600 chassis and just go have fun. Way less rules and such to adhere to.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
If you have ever prerunn a course in a bug you will find that you don't NEED a big fancy GPS a hand held for emergencies is fine or Intercom it's not a 700 hp motor we're talkin' 65ish, hell ya don't need pumpers ,and definitly don't need HID's they don't go fast enough to need to see that far!! if a racer was smart with there money,had resonable fab skills and purchaced many items used he could be well under the 20k mark probably race ready competative car for around 8-10k....

I just assumed he wanted to finish the race, not just start it:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
lol

I would just race a xr650.
This gets my vote. Yea your way more likely to get hurt or killed, but thats why its more fun right?? and hey if your good, you wont have to wory about trophy trucks passing you:D

Ive only been riding dirt bikes for a little under a year, and it would take some serious training and a lot more experience for me to get out there and race. But unless i wanted to totally give up rockcrawling and/or a few other small hobbies, it is the only way i could ever get out and race and have fun while not living in a barn on top ramen and welding slag.
Ian-

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
I have never sat down and worked out a class 11 budget but 20 years of desert racing lead me to belive 20k is closer to the real number.

that said, I have raced class 8, 5, 5/1600, 1/2 1600 and now jeepspeed. I can say with out hesitation you can't beat the jeepspeed deal for fun per dollars.

also for those interested http://www.class11coalition.com/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts