Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back when I was a kid in the late 60's/early 70's, one of my favorite toys was a "Fire Chief" red Nylint Bronco. Like most toys, it got played with hard and lost somewhere along the way. A few weeks ago, I came across one just like it at an estate sale, I had to buy it. It was in pretty good shape, but not perfect.

I decided to see if I could convert it to R/C without disturbing the patina the years had given the body. The Nylint Broncos are not a common scale (1/8, 1/10, 1/24, etc), they're more like 1/14, which makes it hard to find any parts from other models or R/C vehicles that fit right. I finally came across a R/C 4x4 truck on eBay that looked like I could use the chassis from. It was close, I had to move the rear axle forward a few millimeters, shorten both driveshafts, and relocate the battery. I also removed the internal springs from the stock "shocks" and converted them coilovers, moved the tie rod to the top of the steering knuckles, and installed an adjustable drag arm from the servo to the passenger knuckle. I left the body just like I found it, other than removing the cross brace behind the seats.

The interior floor and rear wheel tubs I made from flat lexan, painted with Rustolelum Textured spray paint to resemble bedliner. The shifter is an worn out Dremel bit. The roll cage I fabricated out of 1/4" round aluminum rod. Working on a rear bumper/spare tire holder.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
That's awesome.

Somewhere I have a Nylint 1 ton looking dump truck, with the spring assist dump, a boat trailer, think the truck for that is either a Gladiator, or a CJ, can't recall, and I believe theres a Jeep FC. You have given me bad ideas.

Link to the RC chassis?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Very cool!! My mom has a tow truck, dump truck and semi with car hauler that were my uncles. I've thought about RCing the tow truck for years but can't talk myself into cutting it up.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's awesome.

Somewhere I have a Nylint 1 ton looking dump truck, with the spring assist dump, a boat trailer, think the truck for that is either a Gladiator, or a CJ, can't recall, and I believe theres a Jeep FC. You have given me bad ideas.

Link to the RC chassis?
Just search for WPL R/C on eBay or Amazon. They have several versions, I picked up a Toyota 4x4 RTR for around $30. The quality of the chassis and parts are more "toy" grade than "hobby", (the steering is not proportional, just full left or right, tiny screws into plastic instead of machined threads, etc), but for $30 it's not bad. 4 link suspension, real driveshafts, soft tires, Li-on battery...could be worse. The Toyota body is well detailed and looks good, I may end up using it for something in the future.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WPL-C24-1-16-4WD-2-4G-2CH-Military-Truck-Buggy-Crawler-Off-Road-RC-Car-RTR-KIT/333083284876?hash=item4d8d4f958c&var&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&enc=AQAEAAADMKvsXIZtBqdkfsZsMtzFbFsbX3WcW5fmB%2Fx7ZbaZTyexFqsdMD2L707kSCjOoQ8DKDBS8e5s%2FxTmcSbampdOjAuDnzkU6NMMlSit%2FTy%2Fu5hP%2FfKxkrKofA%2BhSjGWNoRXd4PI2bLunaaOpucKTY%2B%2FrPzlL2%2FsJN5dTlAIXWuJ3a7nuHUbxsqWRgpt%2BvL55k770b0EAHOKFUk1PMLexnZq5AkbBAGq0HRNFD7jWK7dVRqBi6ksGOCsvd3NlwOPzIHXvOEsMkfNbtsrwrw4SjcHsSIJ2GJ7KvGQU5x5QFl21ZnYh4JBS4tuXu8gQ98tgGqJVOgJpl8sLy6lhs10hQBz75xDbZhYWE5xGgz3tD0T%2FyUl%2B8a901Vfys1%2B7T6PHlZZgpJNr6JPYpWS%2FNY%2B2aaLN6Lq7ci16zXCbBD4JtC5Rp2eSypUPcH4Dr6dbZJJx2sBuHmYitexO2g9BEvYokX6VRAn4f7AbEr1s30NeD9gWJLsi%2B2yp8AYQkuJAoWNtDkqZqFMbP9KD8swULYUlP34h1S7LtR0u2Sq%2BjybH78zjixGXjSswnyXHRI8PyAlDfpV158ef%2F7PlaOjKHm6um8vz00YAw1e4NOPKMZbGHXd6AFEX1dWQd8pklOwrJBDkqjBAUR3HreZDTvGwYlc2SZPkmxhxVqjgvqMFd5lIAQ5gPqRQMxLyDcslbCHBlDPN9%2BbXBb2ibQ3SB0xu1glL8m%2Frl2SlWZ0JmJ0g6eRQM8Qthg9TU8Ok8XrFzNkoqgA3IUk8F7YBuzZaXD6udc1u2Kbgi8zVbwNYFw%2FF7EqB4JS%2Bu8IA1HVi8DstcVbmXqou8JC86kZfKmIDnPubSRtw6F29tEIEL8BDwUsyjWWpEpdVPba4tgakzdHfiWpBTFpRFz0miKOLAsDWW0xG5%2FdYWIfQV91XL%2Bz%2F%2FuUMiDhtNfBwn5B94gsdVC2amR424QXUOtQavCq%2BiiiJeZ7eRzaKft6JEtFpYyngbsj2QI7elf%2F0W9E3dVGJpujMWZWcYR3%2BtHHb%2FQlm%2BbIBFPr5kLQnjtS0PDv0BmK4p2rBG0DVn1K7iJzJx9nSXrH2WbckXIXXSYC%2FA%3D%3D&checksum=33308328487651a75c4e1ac3484da05254220407c5ab

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Looks great! I have around 20 or so of the Nylint Bronco and been wanting to do this just couldn't figure out what chassis to use. What else di you need looks like the kit doesn't come with a controller??

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks great! I have around 20 or so of the Nylint Bronco and been wanting to do this just couldn't figure out what chassis to use. What else di you need looks like the kit doesn't come with a controller??
Not sure about the DIY kit, but the RTR model does come with everything needed (controller, battery, charger, chassis, body) for nearly the same price.
The quality is not that great, but for about $30, at least it's cheap.

You'll need to shorten the wheelbase of the chassis a little to match up with the Bronco body (I moved the rear axle forward). If you want an interior floor, it's easy to make one out of flat plastic, unless you want to cut up the original nylint chassis - I didn't, so I used some scrap lexan I had lying around.

If you've never disassembled a Nylint Bronco, there are 2 small spot welds under each door opening that secure the body to the chassis. Some careful work with a cutoff wheel in a Dremel will cut through them.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Not sure about the DIY kit, but the RTR model does come with everything needed (controller, battery, charger, chassis, body) for nearly the same price.
The quality is not that great, but for about $30, at least it's cheap.

You'll need to shorten the wheelbase of the chassis a little to match up with the Bronco body (I moved the rear axle forward). If you want an interior floor, it's easy to make one out of flat plastic, unless you want to cut up the original nylint chassis - I didn't, so I used some scrap lexan I had lying around.

If you've never disassembled a Nylint Bronco, there are 2 small spot welds under each door opening that secure the body to the chassis. Some careful work with a cutoff wheel in a Dremel will cut through them.
Thanks for the extra info, yea I've taken quite a few apart I've "restored" a bunch for my great nieces and nephews I fix them up, paint then their favorite color and give them out for Christmas presents, have two in the works for this year :)

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts