Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started out kinda simple.... got a modern stainless .45 semiauto... got interested in .357 wheelguns... we've all been there...

Picking up my new-to-me Taurus 669 they were just putting THIS in the case.

It's a Model 1950 Target .45 ACP. It's SN puts it's DOM around '51, '52 or so. One of 2,768 made. I won't even have to set up to load another caliber. What choice did I have?

So now I wait (PRK pistol jail.:mad3:) Wonder where I can find hi-cap moon clips?:smokin:

·
Registered
12,951 Posts
Sweet I am trying to remember I saw moon clips for sale somewhere recently. I briefly had control of my uncle's 1917 colt what a blast to shoot

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Quick question (I'm kinda ignorant when it comes to wheel guns). What keeps the round in place on a APC wheel gun? I know most use the lip on the case to prevent the round from being able to slide through the cylinder, but the APC cartrage doesn't have a larger dia. lip, so what prevents it from sliding through the cylunder?

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
Sweet I am trying to remember I saw moon clips for sale somewhere recently. I briefly had control of my uncle's 1917 colt what a blast to shoot
Dillon carries them

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Quick question (I'm kinda ignorant when it comes to wheel guns). What keeps the round in place on a APC wheel gun? I know most use the lip on the case to prevent the round from being able to slide through the cylinder, but the APC cartrage doesn't have a larger dia. lip, so what prevents it from sliding through the cylunder?
have to use moon clips

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Moon clips. They also make a .45 Auto Rim cartridge you can use.

The cartridge is headspaced by the case. The moon clips are for extraction purposes and aren't really necessary if you have a pencil and don't mind poking 'em out one by one. (or so I'm told)

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Sweet find! If you don't mind my asking, how much did you give for it?

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet find! If you don't mind my asking, how much did you give for it?
mmmmm... quite a bit less than a new S&W would cost. It IS used, after all..:smokin:

While the investment value crossed my mind that wasn't why I got it. Based on what little I could find online (not many for sale) I'm pretty sure I underpaid for it.

Depending on it's degree of originalty (grips, barrel, etc) I got either

A. A really nice, REALLY expensive set of large target grips for my M28-2
B. A good deal on a unique weapon that should be fun to shoot
C. One of those screamin' "right place, right time" steals I usually only read about

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good find! Those are period correct grips, too. Diamond escutcheon stopped around 1957 iirc.
I think the diamond was discontinued around '68. My '64 28-2 has the diamond but I'm not 100% sure those are original yet. S&W numbered the grips to the frames and matching numbers increases the value. I haven't summoned up the balls to take a screwdriver to my 28-2...:homer:

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Yeah, you're right. I just did some reading and it seems like 1968 is the cutoff date for the diamond grips.

I think 57 may have been the year they dropped a screw from the triggerguard, or quit using the K- prefix or something. It's hard to keep up with numbers when it comes to S&W history, lol.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
My great uncle Chuck carried one of those (or very close to it) in Korea. When he got back from the war he gave it to my uncle and said he never wanted to see it again. It shoots awesome. If my cousin doesn't get it, I got dibs called...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts