Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
don't see that's it's any real big deal........

bought some used 78 ford axles for my jeep. the D44 shaft(long side) had some surface rust that sanded right off. looked inside the tube and see crud/rust. i domn't want to take out the ring/pinion at this time.

how do you guys scrape out the crud?

fawk it :)

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
You could take a long metal rod and weld a thick washer to it that fits in the tube and use that to attack the crud, or the same but use a wood dowel and screw the washer to it. I have done it both ways without wanting to pull the R&P (welded rod is stronger) just have to really use a lot of brake cleaner and rags to catch it all when you PULL the crud towards the end of the tube.
Raise the rod so it doesnt push the crud, then whe in far enough press down and pull the crud out of the tube, this way its not pushed into the r&p which you dont want to pull.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks, sounds like a good idea. it ain't like i don't got the time cause i am building for a swap. it just seems like why not try and get some shit out of there while i am down waiting for my knuckle to get done :)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
When I cleaned my D44 front and 12 bolt rear out, I went and got a long piece of all thread and and a rather large washer and locked it in by threading nuts on either side of the washer and that seemed to do the trick. ;)

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and yet another good idea. i wondered if i was the only one out there anal enough to worry about cleaning the inside of the tube. i mean what's a little crud gonna hurt anyway :)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Mine was full of crud. I don't think it is anal, I think it will keep your fluid in there longer if you end up replacing the inner seals. I would strongly recommend pulling the carrier and replacing those inner seals. Especially if you don't know how long they have been in there. ;)

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I used an old engine hone. it was long enough to get 1/2 way down the tube, then I went from inside to get the other 1/2. if you are doing a build and really worried about the crud/junk in the tube, just pull the r&p to do it right. why shortcut something that you obviously are concerned about? you will delay completion time by what a few hours by removing the r&p and cleaning it right? Kinda nice to know in the back of your mind that it is really clean and not just a bunch of crap waiting to push by the inner tube seal and possibly get into the gears. Or you could just slap it together, call it good. it will only mean pulling it apart later and doing it then if the gears get some crap in them. why not do it now while you are thinking of it and have the knuckle off already.

I am sorry if it seems like I am pushing ya to clean it right but its really annoying to watch, read or hear about someone that rushes through something and not take the time to do it right the first time.

I think I read somewhere :

why do we have the time to do things twice but not enough time to do it correctly in the first place?

Flame me if it will make you feel better but am I wrong?

JJ

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
i welded a round wire brush to a two foot long piece of 3/8 rod and put the 3/8 rod in my drill and it cleaned them like i was honing a block out, jason.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Last time I had to clean out a really cruddy axle tube I used a toilet brush from the dollar store.....
I will agree that the dana inner axle seals are not to be ignored.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
right on more great ideas!
i beat on my junk pretty good. NEVER sees the pavement, just the trailer. i am not going for perfection on this axle swap but just want it strong.......not beauty. i am gonna have a guy re-gear it for me and install the detroit......otherwise i am doing the work myself....learning along the way. o'll try some method today and see how much junk i can get out and call it good :)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
While he is regearing it, see if he will change the seals for you. It will save you a lot of gear oil changes in the long run and the aggravation of leaky seals. ;)

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Just use the allthread with a washer bolted to it, but carry it with ya on the trail. The axle tubes will constsantly fill up with crap, especially if you see mud, being able to pull that crap outa there while changing a broken shaft is a good idea so you dont push any of it into the diff with the end of the new shaft.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Back up to da top for adding pics. Who knows, maybe someone will search for something someday.

Length of allthread, couple lock washers, couple nuts, one fender washer, instant tube cleaner/scraper.

·
Registered
935 Posts
420willys said:
i welded a round wire brush to a two foot long piece of 3/8 rod and put the 3/8 rod in my drill and it cleaned them like i was honing a block out, jason.
Best idea yet, or even use one of those green or purple sanding discs... A lot of the older tubes i have seen or dealt with have not just stuff in the tubes, but a lot of rust and corrosion, that will get worse and flake off eventually

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I took my axle down to a machine shop and had them hot tank it. This axle was a mess, both inside and out, but the hot tanking got rid of everything, and it only cost me 20 bucks

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Hard to carry a hot tank around with ya and ya wont always have power for a drill. Cheapo scraper ya can carry on the trail and get the crap out of the tubes when someone has to do an axle shaft swap. Just a thought.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I ve got ya all beat on the cheapness factor. I took an old curtain rod and rounded the edge with the frinder to the curve of the tube and scape away. i have found that you really dont need that much force and the curtain rod has worked several times without fail. and if it does bend or break i can get a new one for pretty much NUTIN!!!

·
Registered
816 Posts
another addition to the rod with washer on the end trick.

Cut one third off of the washer, that way when you put it in the tube the cut (flat) end is pointing down round end up, once you get er all the way in rotate it 180' and pull it out, that way no shit gets pushed in the diff

·
Registered
483 Posts
1. remove everything from housing
2. find open area, away from anything important
3. have hose ready
4. spray a can or so of carb cleaner in the housing, tubes, diff, etc
5. have hose ready
6. toss match

that is how i cleaned mine anyways :evil:

·
Registered