Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont think you can hottank aluminum parts so what other ways can you clean these things besides some elbow grease.

I have an intake and a plenum that look a little shabby... and I want to get them cleaned before I put the engine back together.

Is there a special cleaner that I can use on them.... I tried carb cleaner on the intake and it didnt cut it... and to clean the inside of the plenum I would have to split it open. I would love to be able to let it soak in something instead.

Thanks,

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
got any local anodizers around... have them tank it for ya ;)

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Mix up equal parts of cream of tarter and baking soda in white vinegar. After degreasing the parts, brush this slop on with a stiff brush.........

My mother used to use it for aluminum pots and pans.........:p

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Go get some aluminum wheel cleaner, the old style. Look for "contains Oxalic acid and/or Hydrofluoric Acid" Or take it to a machine shop or transmission shop for a trip thru a tank or spray cabinet.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Arnold said:
I used oven cleaner to clean out my intake plenum and it worked great.
Kind of bad advise without more info. Oven cleaner can be made of many chemicals some of them will eat and harm aluminum.

If it's active ingredients are Sodium Metasilicate or Sodium Carbonate you shouldn't have any problems, but if it contains Sodium Hydroxide the cleaner will eat the part and turn it dark gray.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hit your local truckstops's wash bay. They'll have potent degreaser and "brightener" spray they use for alum. wheels, tanks etc. on big rigs. This stuff is a strong hydroflouric acid solution and will make your junk look all new again.

Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts