Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I realize that this is going to be considered a newbie question by some. :flipoff2:

I had to replace the distributor cap and rotor on my Sami the other day because the cap's center electrode and plastic around it was FRIED. I replaced it, no problem.

But there is a bunch of black/dust/dirt in the distributor itself (all over the electronics which are covered by the cap), which I guess is the particles from the cap coming apart, or else it is oil vapor residue and dirt.

Anyway, can I hose out the distributor with Brake Cleaner? Or will this mess up the electronics? If I shouldn't use Brake Cleaner, then what can I clean this crap out with?

Thanks! :D
Richard

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I WOULD USE ELECTRONIC PARTS CLEANER INSTEAD OF BRAKEKLEAN ALTHOUGH I DONT THINK BRAKEKLEAN WOULD HURT ANYTHING

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool - thanks!

I can't believe I didn't think of that! :rasta:

·
Registered
600 Posts
wd-40 displaces any moisture and it wont conduct electricity i keep a can around when i play in the water

·
Registered
71 Posts
WD40

I always fill the alternator just as full as I can with WD40 about once a month. I haven't had the problem on a Sammy, but on every Tacoma that sees a mudhole the alternator fills up with crap. Then your system won't charge and you have to take the alternator completely apart and clean it all out with WD40. So I just spray a bunch in there with it sitting and let it soak it up and dry. Like they said, repels moisture. I haven't had to take my Taco alternator apart once since I started this, I know people that have to after just a couple wheeling trips.

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Use an air compressor to blow it out, then a rag to loosen the rest up and blow it out again.
(with the cap off)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts