Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas on getting tape goo off of a wiring harness. I'm going through my bronco 30 year old electrical taped wiring and replacing it all with plastic "conduit". Also what's a good cleaner to use on the old connectors?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh yeah I hate that tape goo stuff too. But I found the best way to get it of, is to get that friend that wants to come over to help and have him do it :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Try a product called Goof Off.
Goof off will work no problem. Use it all the time at work to remove blemishes from tubs, showers, and tile floors after some idiot sub-contractor has slid something across em. And of course take off those damn pesky stickers that leave shit everywhere. If you can't find goof off (which shouldn't be a problem) you can also pickup a gallon of Xylene. One of the active ingredients in goof off. From my experience it does the same thing and its cheaper.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Wrong form Andy... How ya been, punk.

But I use brake clean or the like.

Unless there is an abrasion issue where the wires are just tie wrap the wires together. IMO that plastic shit never stays on good and just traps mud, dirt, water and other assorted junk in there. If there is an abrasion issue just put some spiral wrap around it where it rubs stuff.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The easy way call painless and order a new wire harness..hehe... a buddy of mine was going to do teh same thing on his bronco and when he priced out the new harness he said it wasnet even worth it to try and clean up all that old wiring.. You clean it up and its still 30 years old and brittle in spots.. Just something to think about

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
I've done this a few times -- strip off all the old cracked plastic and gooey tape, and loosely bing the harness with a bunch of cheap zip ties. Working in a big wash tub, spray Simple Green directly onto the harness , and keep misting it to keep it wet.

That stuff cuts through all the old goo that I have used it on... after you've kept it wet for a while, rinse thoroughly and most of the goo will just melt away. For stubborn spots, spray SG back on and wipe it clean.

Randii

1 - 9 of 9 Posts