Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have am putting a 6.2L(L92) TH400 and Ford 205 into my YJ. My question is how much of the large hump/Mounting locations over the front output can you cut off with out making the case to weak. I am trying not to cut up the tub if I an help it.

I know I saw a picture on here of someone that made this area flat on their 205 just wondering how it held up and if they could post some pictures for me to look at.

I have already trimmed about an inch off of it and i need to go about another inch or so.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I say cut it till you cut into the case, then weld up the hole (don't go crazy and cut a huge window or anything)

I remember seeing pics of people shaving 205s pretty regularly 8-10 years ago, when lots more people swapped in 205s

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cut a little over an inch off of it already and have a Dime sized hole into the case. Just wonders how much more I can go until i start making the case to weak.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I shaved mine just like Brave motorsports did. I think I took off 2.5" that plated it with .25". So far so good.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies, This thing is def getting chopped. Everyone welded this with preheat and Nickle Rod. Like you would do a Diff.

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
Rob Matzell is working on the same thing and Ken Blume did something similar in his Goat Built ultra4 build that is on here. I can get you either of their email/numbers if you want to chat with them about it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Dave, I think I am just going to cut it like the ones in the pictures and see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Rob Matzell is working on the same thing and Ken Blume did something similar in his Goat Built ultra4 build that is on here. I can get you either of their email/numbers if you want to chat with them about it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I do not know that I am going to do anything much different than what most have done on here. I do have three to play with so we will see how it goes...I will post up once I do it. Should be in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Rob, I already cut about as much as the first picture posted here. I plan on cutting as much as everyone else has. Then i am going to preheat and weld like I have other cast iron and see how it holds up.

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Well with all this talk I decided to cut mine tonight. I did not want to go crazy and really only needed about an inch off. I ended up cutting about 2 1/8 off the top. I took a few pics afterwards. I used a 1/16 cut off wheel and then 3 sawzall blades. Ends up I had to cut through both "bosses" in the case so it took a while. If you go deeper will will miss part of the bosses and it will cut a little quicker. I wanted to keep some "meat" above the holes. In the pics you can see the bosses.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Having 3 of these cases I decided to take pics of a non-cut next to it. I hope this adds a little tech and lets people compare and see how much they want to cut off.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts