Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, I can find no info on the net about anyone doing the cliffhanger trail in moab in a samurai. So, my buddy in his landcruiser with 35" tires wants me to do it with him. My concern is the 4ft ledge that you have to go down(problem is getting back up it of course). From what I understand no one with 31" tires gets up and over that ledge without a strap or a winch. So, i'm running SPOA YJ's, locked F/R and lowered t-case gears and 31" tires....I'm wondering if I can make it on this trail with that setup or not. Anyone do cliffhanger in their sammy? pictures? specs on what made it and what didnt? Also, a geotracker with the calmini 3"suspension lit, 31" tires locked rear, Limited slip up front will be going on this trail as well...will the tracker with that setup make it? dont want to be doing any rescues this trip and dont want to break any gear. Opinions? experiences on this trail??(caverinacruiser, dont bother replying, I already know your opinion :flipoff2: )

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
Thats the actual cliffhanger obstacle, I think He's asking about the big ledge right near the start of the trail. Either way, its been done before and can be done again. Worst case scenario you hook up a strap, BFD

Dallas

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yep...Did them both...Can't say it didn't take me a couple of tries with the 31's, but I made every obstacle (we tried) at Moab with that setup. 'Course it helps having Garry and Jim for spotters! Jumped to 33's and coils this past year and we were doing WidowMaker! Can't WAIT 'til next spring!

Oh, thinking about it...he said it was easy going down, but tough getting back up...must have been the first one that Jim posted pics of. That thing scared the b'jezus out of me. I kept asking Figmo...do we have to come back UP this thing??? Figmo took it first and busted his rear locker. We all re-thought the lines. Jim and I walked it and found a different approach. Jim went up it...made it look easy. I followed with my 31's...same line...no problem. We waited on a couple of Jeeps...thought they were coming down...turns out they were scared to go down it for fear of having to go back up it! Jeeps make great anchor points for Figmo! :D

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Cap'n Ron said:
Yep...Did them both...Can't say it didn't take me a couple of tries with the 31's, but I made every obstacle (we tried) at Moab with that setup. 'Course it helps having Garry and Jim for spotters! Jumped to 33's and coils this past year and we were doing WidowMaker! Can't WAIT 'til next spring!

no problem. We waited on a couple of Jeeps...thought they were coming down...turns out they were scared to go down it for fear of having to go back up it! Jeeps make great anchor points for Figmo! :D
must have been wranglers...the XJ's walk through that with ease

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Might just be the angle of the shot, but that looks like it would be a serious dropoff the side if you screwed up... I hate heights and would not attempt Moab Rim for that reason. Any idea of how big or pics of the side dropoff on that trail?

·
Vendor
4,164 Posts
Thats the famous cliffhanger obstacle. The drop next to it is a sheer, few hundred feet. Geat view! If you dont like heights, just run the trail up to turn before that. Youll know becuase the trail hooks to the right, and youll bee straight out and left is a new area you couldnt see before. Not scary there, as your still a way from the drop off. That obstacle isnt much, in a smai it might be a little wierd feeling though. The rest of cliffhanger isnt too bad. And no real major drop offs anywhere else. The big ledge is at the beginning, and can be made with just picking the right line, or a few rocks.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
So what trails do you avoid in Moab if you dont like heights.. other than the obvious Moab Rim and Lions Back...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
goldbar rim is fun...moab rim is very very fun, and I dont think its too scary from a 'i'm afraid of heights' standpoint(i AM afraid of heights and didnt have a problem with it)elephant hill is good too...poison spider is fun, but has one tippy spot that might make people nervous....so, I had no problems on moab rim, my zuk went up and down it without a hitch, is the cliffhanger obstical any worse than the ledges on moab rim?...also, no one has commented on whether or not they think the geo tracker with a 3" calmini lift and 31" tires can make cliffhanger or not?

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I'm more worried about the if-I-roll-I'm-gonna-die factor, not the look I can see my house in California from up here perspective. If you've been to the Hammers, and you roll on Outer limits, you flop & then you're done. If you do the same on top of Jackhammer (or Moab Rim) its a looooooooonnnnnng waaaaaaayyyyyyy down with a hard stop at the end.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I think the trail book states it is around 400-600 feet straight down. From up there you can see a road at the bottom and it looks like a pencil line. Does that explain how far up it is? If you throw a rock from the top and you follow it allllllllllll the way down it lands only a few feet away from the base. :barf: :barf: :barf:

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
As far as the Sidekick making it in Moab, I don't have a lot of seat time behind the wheel in mine and haven't taken it to Moab but here's what I've found from using it so far. I have a Sidekick that's set up identical to the one you're taking with you. It seems to do okay on big rutted out hill climbs and kind of surprises me with how well it climbs, but it doesn't do real well on big rocks without the crawler gears. There will probably be a lot of clutch slipping involved as it seems to get hung up easier than a samurai based on my experience. Lack of ground clearance and wheel travel kind of kills it in the rocks and I've decided that without the crawler gears I'm not going to bother taking it in any serious rock trails. It has limited wheel travel front and rear so you pull the wheels off the ground a lot, not a problem as long as its still moving forward. I think it would do okay on most of the slick rock terrain up there with the exception of the big rock piles as noted above. FWIW

By the way, if it goes with you send pics!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh, I will definatly take pics :)...yeah, the sidekick that is going has the 3" calmini setup, locked rear, lmited slip up front, and it has the calmini rockcrawler gears in it...in my experience (with my kit which is the RRO rocksteady kit)I get anywhere from 19-24" of wheel travel out of my kick depending on how much weight is in the vehicle to compress the springs. Since that is about as much as a spoa sammy on stock springs, i'm not too worried about wheel travel, just more about the 31" tires we both have and the ground clearance he has in his kick...oh, btw krawler, I will let you know if I can see your house in cali when I get to the top of moab rim this weekend :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
shmoesmith said:
goldbar rim is fun...moab rim is very very fun, and I dont think its too scary from a 'i'm afraid of heights' standpoint(i AM afraid of heights and didnt have a problem with it)elephant hill is good too...poison spider is fun, but has one tippy spot that might make people nervous....so, I had no problems on moab rim, my zuk went up and down it without a hitch, is the cliffhanger obstical any worse than the ledges on moab rim?...also, no one has commented on whether or not they think the geo tracker with a 3" calmini lift and 31" tires can make cliffhanger or not?
Im trying to think of what part of poison spider is tippie. but then I guess if your in a sidekick or sami its probably all tippy. :p

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The most sketchy(sp) trail in moab imo is Rusty Nail. Most of the trail is pretty tame but there are a couple places where if you made a mistake it could be your last. Still a great trail though.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rockreligious said:
Im trying to think of what part of poison spider is tippie. but then I guess if your in a sidekick or sami its probably all tippy. :p
its listed in the charles wells book...its the slickrock dome you climb up right before the little arch hike...you head up it and make an abrupt right hand turn right before the top and side hill out and around the top of it...some people have illegally been going straight up it instead of making the right hand turn midway up so that they can avoid the tippy spot...another reason you may not know if it is that there is a bypass right before the slickrock dome that makes you miss the dome all together.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
shmoesmith said:
its listed in the charles wells book...its the slickrock dome you climb up right before the little arch hike...you head up it and make an abrupt right hand turn right before the top and side hill out and around the top of it...some people have illegally been going straight up it instead of making the right hand turn midway up so that they can avoid the tippy spot...another reason you may not know if it is that there is a bypass right before the slickrock dome that makes you miss the dome all together.
I wouldnt have bypassed in on purpose, but sometimes when you run trails with the same group all the time you take thier path and sometimes bypass stuff you dont even now exist. ive done that trail probably a dozen times and that could have been the case.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts