Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a "Y" link steering setup. It has the one tie rod end that has a tapered hole built in for another tie rod end. My problem is I need that hole to be vertical and it is horizontal. At the risk of getting chewed out here is my question: (keep in mind I AM a certified welder and will be using a TIG(GTAW)) can the tie rod end be welded? More specifically can it be cut between the hole and the end, beveled, clocked to the preferred orientation and welded back together? Is there a special rod required? I know there are tapered inserts that require being welded in so that's why I'm hoping this is possible.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Iv been told they are cast steel so welding should be possible in theory... but not something that I would feel warm and fuzzy about. Are you sure you need it rotated , I can't see any reason to have the tie rod to be on top

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Iv been told they are cast steel so welding should be possible in theory... but not something that I would feel warm and fuzzy about. Are you sure you need it rotated , I can't see any reason to have the tie rod to be on top
It's a clearance issue. The pitman arm is basically on top of the tie rod. In full stuff the drag link would bind on the tie rod. Moving the box forward or moving the axle back is more engineering, doable but this would be simpler.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
If that's the case at droop will cause the drawling and tiered to lay right on top of each other right ? Can see how that would give you more clearance

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
42,249 Posts
You won’t have crap for articulation if you mount it like that. If that something you really want to do you make one out of DOM and you can buy the weld in insert and put it at whatever angle you want.

It’s easier to change the length of the Pitman arm and or move the box.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Side view

Top view

There's not much room to move the box forward. Maybe 1/2" need 2" to keep the drag link from binding. Making the pitman arm shorter is going to limit the travel of steering (not ideal).
The first picture in the thread shows the axle full stuff. There's room for the drag link to lay over the tie rod.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You won’t have crap for articulation if you mount it like that. If that something you really want to do you make one out of DOM and you can buy the weld in insert and put it at whatever angle you want.

It’s easier to change the length of the Pitman arm and or move the box.
I agree with ubove. Right side drag link tie rod end will bind/break at full droop. Have you considered a high steer arm on Right side knuckle for just the drag link?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts