Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 89 F150 bellhousing with the hydraulic clutch system, and I am looking for a p/n or size for the spring that pulls the release fork back after releasing the pedal. My fork is not drilled for the hole, so I didn't think it needed one, but I am tired of hearing the chirping bird in my bellhouse from the bearing skipping on the pressure plate fingers...

Were there springs on these?? I have one setup pulled from a truck without a spring, and from what I have pieced together for mine (a 5.0HO swapped into a 78 CJ5) there was no sign of a spring.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe look for a parking brake cable return spring found under the bed? No specific p/n or application but they’re easy to snag at the JY and have plenty of travel and long straight hook lines to tailor to your application.

Good point about pedal travel however it would be a non issue if the collapsed/rest position of the spring was set to just barely hold the bearing off the fingers when the slave is relaxed, right?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe look for a parking brake cable return spring found under the bed? No specific p/n or application but they’re easy to snag at the JY and have plenty of travel and long straight hook lines to tailor to your application.

Good point about pedal travel however it would be a non issue if the collapsed/rest position of the spring was set to just barely hold the bearing off the fingers when the slave is relaxed, right?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
There should be some (1/2") free play before the clutch fork engages the pressure plate be it a borg and beck or diaphram pressure plate from memory if the TO is always riding on the fingers of the PP you will be replacing the TO bearing sooner than nessasary.

So a spring holding the pushrod on the end of the fork seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Be looking for a diagram blown up view of the year make and model that most discribes the setup you are wanting to create.

A spring from the clutch pedal also comes to mind.

And an adjustable clutch fork positive stop with a chunk of 1/2" of rubber between the clutch pedal and the floor somewhere would also help.

Goto the dealership if required.

I still get printouts of square body Chevy to see how things fit together to this day.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Wow, just noticed I misspelled "Cylinder" in the title... that's gonna bug me now.

Here is a couple pictures without the slave in place as I was test fitting things during the swap to show you the bracket I am using.

I thought I had a better picture of it, but I guess not.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
if your throwout is rattling you've bent one or more of the pp fingers

the self adjusting feature of the hydraulic linkage is that the to bearing is under spring preload against the pp fingers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts