Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing the clutch in an 01----5.9 diesel----NV4500. I did this clutch about 8 years ago and had to have the input gear replaced b'cuz of the pilot bearing going south and grinding up the pilot on the gear. Got it apart this afternoon and the same thing. Pulled the flywheel off and here comes all the dust...look at the input--yep--toast again. Been searching for a bushing, but so far a no bueno.........anybody?

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
This is the clutch pilot bushing out of a '89 sbc with a sm465. And a Chinese caliper. 20191018_082859_1571412631159.jpg

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, dug one out of my tool box, got the same specs. machining here I come. I think I'll run a flat file over the input shaft first and see what I get first.

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
Out of curiosity, do you sit at stoplights with the clutch in the whole time? I only ask because the only other time I have run into this was with a guy who kept the clutch in all the time rather than shifting to neutral and letting the clutch out. He went through release bearings and pilot bearings like candy.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the bushings back from the machine shop (had 3 of 'em done). Look nice and still some decent meat on 'em. OD was cut to 1.004 and the ID .753. Think I will soak them for awhile, then butter up the one I'm going to use with some red high pressure grease.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts