Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
87 YJ 4.2 Just pu tin a freshly rebuilt motor and new everything with it (clutch, throw out, etc.) Had a little trouble and ended up bending one of the prongs on the new clutch a bit, but it seemed to bend back in place. Now there is no clutch. :confused: We bled it and bled it and it FEELS like it has pressure but then doesnt disengage the clutch. What did I do wrong?

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
hilbilyindswamp said:
Is it possible you put the clutch disc in backwards? On my truck it looks pretty similar on both sides.
That wouldn't go back together, the sprung hub is too large for the flywheel counter-bore.
That YJ has an internal slave IIRC.
Maybe take the spring off the pedal and see if you still have pressure. Try getting a visual of the diaphram compressing.
If one prong bent it could bend again and get pushed outside the throw-out or maybe it broke off and got wedged in the disc.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I thought about the arm becoming deformed also. I hate to say it, but I think you're going to have to pull it apart.

·
Registered
388 Posts
OK, this is my YJ that Keith was helping with. On this YJ the throwout bearing and slave are the same so there is no arm, it is a circular hydraulic pressure bearing.The clutch gets no pressure and after driving it the fluid goes empty so it is obviously leaking where I can't see it (inside the bell housing). Only other thing I can think of is if the fittings on the tubing got reversed and maybe it has some internal valving. We didn't attach the bleed fitting but its possible that it was reversed at the factory. this would be the easiest fix if it hasn't ruptured but other than that i'm sure it will need to be torn down. The parts store asid that they will back the parts (I hope the bent spline doesn't look bad) so since I don't want to do a clutch out in the rain I am having to find someone to do it around here

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
If it's leaking you would see it puddling under the bell and notice a drop in fluid a the m/c.
That set-up has one line going in the bell and the bleed line coming out right next to the pressure line.
Is the clutch m/c new? Check for leaks under it. Make sure your bleeder doesn't have crap in it not allowing it to seal.
Hopefully the bent prong didn't wipe out the slave lines.

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont think the prong is an issue.....it was bent back damn near straight and would get in to touch the lines anyways ;)

I didnt know it was leaking Vic.....:(

Has to be the Throw out.......I cant figure any thing else that might be wrong. But the new motor runs TITS :flipoff2: :p

·
Registered
388 Posts
Heh, if she runs tits now, she'll have maximum nipple erection once she gets timed correctly, gets a new rotor, carb adjustment and has had some break in time:D

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Look around the garage and make sure the throw out bearing actually went in the truck.

My little brother did that to his truck. Messed with it for a night before finally calling me and I walked over and said, you didn't replace the throw out bearing? (holding up the new on that was laying on the work bench) :laughing:

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GloNDark said:
Look around the garage and make sure the throw out bearing actually went in the truck.

My little brother did that to his truck. Messed with it for a night before finally calling me and I walked over and said, you didn't replace the throw out bearing? (holding up the new on that was laying on the work bench) :laughing:
As much as you would LIKE to think I am......I am not as dumb as your brither :flipoff2: :p

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Keith Strong said:
I am not as dumb as your brither :flipoff2: :p
What's a brither? and thats a sweet quote.

I did a Jeep clutch and the slave did not work, pulled it apart and it was garbage from the factory (dealer part) so they gave me a new one and it leaked after the first time it was used, but if it makes you feel any better the third one worked great.
It was a 4L and the internal slave, what a POS

·
Registered
388 Posts
well I got the Jeep to a tranny shop. they have concluded that the problem is indeed inside the bell housing (I could have told them that)They are gonna tear it down tomorrow and I hope that it is a defective part and not our error (maybe bashing a tube or something unlikely like that). This is such a bitch because even if it was a bad part and the parts store backs it up I am still out the labor to have the clutch guy do it when we did it right in the first place. I wish I could have done it myself but don't have a helper nearby, it is raining and I am not allowed to do mechanical work in my driveway. so....WHO SHOULD I STRANGLE?!

·
Registered
388 Posts
OK, she is back from the tranny shop. The guy said that the pilot bushing had been somewhat mishaped (probably from teh angle of installing the engine). That the pressure plate was damaged (we knew that there was a bent spline), but that the main problem was that the throwout bearing had one of its lines separated. I have no idea how that happened but the parts store replaced the kit for free. cost me $450 in labor though from them! Runs great now except for a little chatter that I am not sure if it is just needing to break in or what. Got her timed and the winch back on so I am on the road again!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts