Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My clutch is confused.

I have an 89 trooper, 2.8L with the 5spd man tranny. the truck has about 220,000 miles on it, the clutch was replaced about 20,000 miles ago. As of now i'm having trouble with the place the clutch catches in the pedal travel. If its hot out, or if I drive it for a while (such as stop & go traffic) the clutch gradually catches higher and higher, until the point where it nearly engages at the very top. Right at first when i begin driving it initially catches low like it should. I only have 31s so its not like it should be a lotta stress on the clutch. Tomorrow im gonna try draining the clutch fluid out, refilling it and bleeding it see if that makes a difference. I am aware that there was a recall several years ago that involved a bracket of some sort that wouldnt allow the clutch to fully engage, im not to sure specifically what it was, but i believe that was taken care of. Anyone care to explain this freak issue? Its got me stumped. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Crazy. Clutch problems usually happen the other way around--problems with pressure so the clutch won't engage until it's at the end or bottom of the pedal travel.

If you can disengage the clutch right at the top of the pedal travel then maybe your clutch fluid is getting hot due to an exhaust leak etcc and the increased pressure makes the fluid expand to the point where it takes less pedal and piston travel to disengage the clutch. That would make sense in theory.

My other guess as that your clutch pressure dampener valve is bad. This little thing is mounted to the firewall in-line with the clutch tubing just after the clutch master cylinder. Inside, a spring holds a little trap door shut, sort of like a valve. The spring's pressure keeps clutch fluid from movng too quickly (like if you just let go of the clutch pedal) and prevents the clutch disk from chattering. It may be possibile that the unit itself is worn out and keeping pressure built up in the lines. So as you pump the clutch it keeps pressurizing the system more and more. Maybe this is the cause of your problem. This also makes sense in theory--pump enough times and you keep building pressure in the system so you only have to push the pedal a tiny bit to disengage the clutch.

Oh well, I bet the problem actually goes away when you bleed and replace the fluid.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the support, im going to try bleeding it and whatnot tomorrow. there is also a shudder, which i thought was associated with the carrier bearing, which was completely shot, so i replaced that, and it went away, or so i thought. now, it shudders sometimes upon takeoff, i've heard the problem associated with lifted vehicles, but my trooper has no lift. hmmm maybe that pressure valve you were talking about is the problem, i'll check that out after i deal with the fluid. thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts