Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cnc 404 Portals - Group Buy Pricing

Hey guys,
This is my first post here, I just subscribed and paid to become a vendor. My buddy Ubermog said I HAD to come see this.

My friend had these issues all the time of the PORTALs / hubs breaking on his UNIMOG. So when my machinist and I looked into the issue, we discoverd that the castings (new or old) can actually crack with a small impact. Once the casing cracks, the bearings and gears offset, and kapooy, everything explodes. This is why the gears brake.

Here is a link to what I am speaking off !!! http://www.printroom.com/pictureSearch.asp?userid=unimog&curpage=2

What we did was made some new units to fix this trouble. There are only 4 in existance, but my buddy has never broken one since in the past 3 seasons (Ubermog). There is over 10,000$ invested in this project so far.

The PORTALS are machined out of 1018 steel. The material will absord impacts and deflections without braking, therefor no more gear failures. We have the drawings, tools, and jigs already made. It takes about 6 hours and 3 different setups to make 1 piece. Steel does not machine quite as quickly as aluminum, but the aluminum does not absorb the stresses like the steel did.

We are prepared to start production on these pieces as soon as you guys say so. The more people we get to purchase, the price will go down. The below pricing is for the first production run, a SPECIAL PRICE FOR THIS FORUM ONLY. Pricing will go up after this run (about 10-15% higher)

For 1 piece, the price is VERY expensive, about 1100$ US
For 4 pieces (complete kit) we can do this for about $3000 US

We need to have at least 20 pieces sold (5 kits) to do this pricing.

The finished piece will come with a hardened Nickel Hydrolisis coating and a limited LIFETIME warranty. THE PARTS WILL NOT BREAK. Shipping is available as required, each PORTAL weighs about 40lbs. Original gears, bearings, and hardware are used, no modifications needed.

Please contact me via e-mail, [email protected] for any questions. As orders come in, I will place a listing on this forum. 50% deposit required at time of order, 50% before delivery.

MSI - Competion Components Manufacturing

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to get the pictures of the part on the UNIMOG this weekend.
Heck, I will even personalize each one with a small logo of your choice !

Limited=normal wear and tear. If you roll the truck off a 50ft cliff and land on the PORTAL, I am not going to warantee that. If you hit a normal jump or rock and it breaks, I will replace it to the original owner.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A ton of people are looking at this post, but no-one is saying anything ? hmm.
Any questions ? I need to make 20 pieces to offer the discounted pricing guys, we have 4 sold already.

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
MSI said:
A ton of people are looking at this post, but no-one is saying anything ? hmm.
Any questions ? I need to make 20 pieces to offer the discounted pricing guys, we have 4 sold already.
You are asking a lot and so far you have just offered claims. I would like to see the product in detail. Pics of the mfg process and the final product before and after installation would be nice. I could buy a spare set of axles "complete" for what you are asking for just the boxes. There is demand but at that price you still are going to have to "sell" them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
We are definitely going to have to see these housings before buying. Are you adding any provisions for mounting disc brakes?

Is the cast backing plate replaced by a steel unit as well or is it just the front half?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update

Here is a picture of the test set, still going after 3 competitive seasons.
More proof that the parts work http://www.fourwheeler.com/2004toptruckchallenge . He placed 3rd overall in this challenge and never broke a PORTAL. For a 10,000lb / 500hp (150 NOS) truck it is something to brag about that the parts did not fail in competition EVER. This is why we are offering a warranty.

Do not forget the DESIGN time to make the design + jugs to hold the part + programming and setup of the CNC.

True, in production, each piece takes about 7 hours of machining time + tools that are scrapped after each part. Material that is used is hot rolled so it has a lot less stress in the material and 0 deformations. The piece we start with is a block 12" x 6" x 8" and weights 162 lbs, so consider the time it takes to manipulate the raw material as well.

The rear piece does not need to be replaced, it is not what breaks. Only the front housing is included in the part.

Yes we make money off this sale, but if we make money, we can guarentee that you will save by not breaking this part anymore. We are not making 20% profits. We have to sell over 50 pieces to make up money invested. THe pricing below is far from recovering money into this project.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
This is a tuff and KNOWLEDGABLE crowd MSI. I know Ubbermog has beat the shiat out of the portals yall made and Im sure plenty others in here do to butttttt..... thats not good enought to show pictures of just that. In here they are going to want pictures of the actual portal, up close and personal with more details to material and construction.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know, I know. I can not afford at this point to tool up to build one for a sample. What kind of info do you want besides the picture ?? What about if the people are interested, a 50% deposit instead of full payment up front, I order up the material and build one, e-mail pics to everyone. If they are not satisfactory, I refund your deposit ? If they are, I continue production and ship the parts upon balance of payment. I will take the chance that I might have to refund your deposits if it is not satisfactory, or to your liking ?

Do we have another solution ? Other option is to machine 1 piece at a cost of around 2500$. We can split this amongst the interested parties, and the difference will be refunded from your purchase ?

Let me know guys, I know we can make this work somehow !! I am trying to figure out how to get the pics you guys want ! (Besides dirty and non-treated ones on UBERMOGS rig)

mark

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
MSI,
I think as a absolute minimum, what we need to see here are a few good up close pics of the boxes on Ubermog's rig. Even if they are just the outside of the boxes.
Pics of a mog jumping and flexing are nice but they don't show anything as far as these custom portal boxes.

Mat

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
If I were in your position, and felt strongly enough about the product, then you may want to look into doing anything possible to get a couple of these out at cost of material or even below the cost of material and offer them to select people on this board who have a high profile and visibility. Let them install them, run them, do a review on them, and then cash in on them. Look at the front page and all the "product" reviews. That is where you will get the visibility and credibility. To just come on here and expect people to just line your pockets for a product with no pics, no history, etc... is bad business planning. Sacrificing cash, mat'l, and time now will be worth it in the long haul if your product is as good as you believe it is. :smokin:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I have to agree with most of the sentiments here....

I am very very interested in some CNC 404 portals for my new buggy.. and if they were real, with photos and history and guys saying they work great, then I would be more inclined to line up...

That being said, I understand the situation you are in.

I'll PM you my number and I would like to talk it over with you on what we can do...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, I got an idea and a sign of faith here. I will get a PDF file of the drawing to post for now. Also, I have 2 guys that I am going to make 8 pieces for at less than COST just to get the parts out their, and get the actual pictures done of the part, manufacturing, etc. I will get this to work for you guys.
Mark

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Well I own a 404 (still not running) and don`t clame to be a mog guy but I do own a cnc machine shop and after reading thrue this ad I realy wunder why the heck some one would use 1018 cold rolled for this part? I could see lazer cutting the OD out of A36 plate or better yet using some 7075 T6 alum for them... hell the 7075 holds up to landing gear on air craft. Well most alum used is 6061 T6 with a yield strength of 37-40 KSI the 7075 T6 has a yield strength of 73 ksi ..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
True, 7 series aluminum would be cools as heck, light, and probably stronger, trouble is the part is already expensive enough, have you costed out how much it would cost to get a chunk that size ??? There is a reason aircraft landing gears are so expensive and take 10 MONTHS to manufacture from start to finish.

Also, Laser cut would be a great idea, but unfortunatly I have not yet found a company that can CUT THAT THICKNESS, PLUS THEY CAN NOT CUT OUT THE INSIDE, so part still needs to be machined one way or another.

So, at the end of the day, answer is parts and process were chosen to keep costs down without sacrificing the performance of the part. Yes part can be better yet, but at an increased cost.

MSI

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.