Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have had this in mind for a long time but could never decide on a fixture. i was trying to over complicate it. i finally came up with a simple solution where the handle should index quickly and easily. the plan is to machine the existing knob into a 5/16" shank with an endmill and then thread mill it to 18 tpi to fit the larger badger and similar bolt knobs. i should be able to store the offset for the fixture and tooling in the cnc control. the plan is to do each mod in less than 10 minutes including the time to clamp the bolt in the fixture. i'm waiting on a thread mill now so i won't be able to try it out until at least next week. the fixture may end up being a paper weight or it may get me paid:D.

14.5 lbs of 1018 turned into 6.5 lbs in about 40 minutes.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
That knob is full of casting voids and makes threading the shank even weaker

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
Badass :)

I want to see it in action now!

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Rem factory knob?
the factory remington bolt handle is cast and i have heard about the porosity in them. there are different methods of doing bolt knob installs. another method is to cut the oem knob completely off, drill the handle and insert a high strength threaded stud. there thousands of knobs out there that are done the way i am planning. i'll see how it goes. if it doesn't look good, i can easily change to the other method.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
for this fixture and program, i am using the top of the fixture as z0. after i did the first couple handles and i was confident where the xy zeros were, i drilled a hole at x0 y1.75 that i use to set up the fixture offset. i find the center of that hole and the top of the fixture and it is dialed in. i did 4 more the other day and setup was quick and easy.

·
Premium Member
17,873 Posts
Couple of dowel pins in the base and you won't need to indicate the x either.

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
If I ever win the lottery, I'm so sending you a check for about 50k and letting you build whatever you can dream up.

You, sir, have skills.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Couple of dowel pins in the base and you won't need to indicate the x either.

the table on my mill is so small, things are always getting moved around. i have to place it where ever it will fit at the time. the y and z offsets could be stored though as i machined an alignment bar on the bottom of the fixture that indexes on the center t-slot on the table. i still find it easy enough to find the center of the reference hole and top of the fixture each time i set it up. i don't have enough tool holders so tools get swapped out a bunch and i want to make sure my tool height doesn't get confused.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
What I want to know is what's it take for someone to send your their pieces and parts, and you to make them all fancy like you've done so many times before. :laughing:

My gun can still outshoot me at the moment since my injury, but I'm trying to get back and I just love watching you work on these guns.

Amazing your skills. :smokin:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts