Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 249 Posts

·
Tubing Junky
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've read lots of good threads from this board I figured and there is lots of plasma table users/builders I'd share this here...

Basically its a really long 2 axis cut cutter/notcher/ref. hole driller :)
For notching I'm turning the BENDTECH "wraps" for hand notching into complete programs for complete tubes. Then I add holes to "pin" the tubes in the bender to guarantee the bend location. OR drill zerk holes, etc.

First part made it within a 1/32"

I made some bushing sleeves for some buggy A-arms...

Jgs tubepro plasma tube cutting machine - YouTube

·
Tubing Junky
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Model this arm came from...

Finished arm, add a drop span bar which had double bends and some odd angle notches.

Ya, it works.
Could only imagine how long this would have taken by hand :eek:. Lots of compound off angles, it was a practically a hold and weld!

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
GREAT JOB! The single drive chain looks like an effective way to move that axis.

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
Is the motor the only thing that controls/monitors the motion on the X(?) axis? I would be worried that any slop in the chain would cause it to lose position.

But all in all, I want one!!! :smokin:

Great job!!

·
Tubing Junky
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the motor the only thing that controls/monitors the motion on the X(?) axis? I would be worried that any slop in the chain would cause it to lose position.

But all in all, I want one!!! :smokin:

Great job!!
The chain is under constant tension from the 1/16th cable and turn-buckle.
It can move a 120" within a 1/16th or better. And the gear reduction is nice and tight, no slop.
Its fantastic, look twins!

The power of the mirror command.

And an upper control arm jigged. This machine ready does kill the "guess" work.

·
Tubing Junky
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here some plates I cut using the plasma table this is designed from (cutting plates to attach to the arms I'm building).

I believe it shows the accuracy of both devices!

·
Tubing Junky
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Please forgive the big welds, I was having ISSUES last night :( . But its definitely SOLID. These are the rear A-arms for a 2-2.2K 4 seat buggy with a toyota FWD transaxle and V6 (my second build using this drivetrain). 2WD SxS on roids.

·
Tubing Junky
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
very cool, thanks. But I don't see a chuck, what grips the tube? I guess I was expecting to see something like a 3 jaw, is this only for 1 size?
Sleeves and locating pins are best as you don't want any movement. The forward rest is height adjustable for different sizes.

·
Tubing Junky
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

A main cage/roof tacked together, all pieces cut and marked with the tube machine.
We even cut ref. holes in the sides of each tube to locate the cross bars on each tube.
The ref. holes and bender line up holes are worth as much or more than notching for ditching the tape measure! With the frame we're building its just a matter of getting the main tubes together then fab times goes really FAST. Programing is cake as you do one tube then just mirror and resign the cut paths.

·
Tubing Junky
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We have a frame! Only 1 big hiccup, I put the marker holes on the roof hoop on the wrong side so the notches on the front came out backwards. Cut/slug :( But its where I can add a nice gusset tab and we'll have full b-pillars plus other features.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice

Do you have a parts list, and could I get your dxf files? Im thinking of making one. It looks like it would interface nicely with the pro4e when it comes out to semi automate tube bending :)

·
Tubing Junky
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
4 weeks and we have THIS...

This machine FLIES thru tubing! Now to find some bigger shop space and build the evolution machine, notching AND bending hmmm.
The sad thing is now my car design seems too SIMPLE, with this machine you can get a lot wilder with the tube work. Next I'll dial it in for 1" tubing, changing the Y axis steps per unit to match the circumference of a 1" tube.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is an unbelievably simple machine !!!

I am planning to build something like that using servo motors. After seeing your machine, now I am convinced that steppers are more than sufficient. I've two steppers with 16 kg/cm torque and 2.5 A drive boards (tinyg).

Do you mind letting me know few details like bed length, motor torque and plasma cutter type and activation ? And also the gear reduction, it appears to be somewhere around 20:1 but not sure.

Thanks and congrats on your design.

1 - 20 of 249 Posts