Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and gentlemen (term used loosely as you might imagine) :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

My cruiser couldn't pass emissions to save it's skin (HC waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay high, CO also high), so a rebuilt carb which has been tuned, all vacuum presumably correctly hooked up, working smog pump, new plugs, cap, rotor, fuel air and oil filter, oil change, PCV, wires and finally, valves newly adjusted on a rebuilt motor with OEM parts (15k miles).. my HC are now way below the cut off, but my CO when under load (on the dyno) is just a LITTLE too high (1.7 and the cutoff is 1.5)... i've dropped it off again at the mechanic who did all the previously mentioned work, and he said he'd play with it a bit.. any suggesstions? oh PS i have the xr700 elex ignition, and this is an otherwise stock 1975 FJ40 wiht the 2-f engine...

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
isopropyl alcohol

I have worked way too much on my trucks and have fought the emissions people too many times to count. My solution, adjust timing to factory specs or slightly retarded, replace the plug wires even if they aren't that old (believe me, this makes a huge difference), change your oil, drive on the highway for 30min and go directly to the testing center, and last but not least, add a bottle or two of HEET fuel deicer (isopropyl alcohol) to the tank. Seems to burn a little hotter and will guaranty a pass. I left out the standard tune up stuff so don't ignore any of that but thought I should mentioned the odd things that I found out over the years. Try to get an 85 S10 to pass as a V6 2.8 with a 350 V8 in there....and yes, I saw the light and sold the Blazer and used the money to buy parts for the Land Cruiser.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Too much CO means either too much gasoline or not enough air. In the "running" emission testing at 2500 rpm with too high CO and ok HC look at restricted air filter or housing, choke sticking or vibrating partially closed, fuel bowl level, incorrect high speed jetting, non-functioning secondary diaphragm.

Don't overlook timing and distributor functions (like advance/retard). Poor battery voltage.

I know you said you rebuilt the carb and changed some of these but the problem is there somewhere.

While not necessarily helpful in your situation, other helpful things are thoroughly clean the carb and intake with carb cleaner, THEN change the oil and filter, run gas tank with premium until half empty, add 1 gallon of Coleman stove fuel (white gas) and drive directly to the test center. This ups the BTU 's in the fuel and makes it burn hotter, and therefore normally cleaner (less HC). If you use HEET make sure you use the red bottle(isopropol) not the yellow bottle (methanol). I'm with treeroot on the plug wires and plugs.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Dang all this emmisions stuff sounds like it sucks. Then again I would not know, as here in rural colorado you could register any thing if you had a title. When I registered my cruiser they didnt even ask to see it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That's the good and the bad part about rural Colorado (and rural Texas for that matter). It is nice to just walk in the local DMV office and get your plates. I got Tom at the Summit County LP office to bring me mine to the mountain in exchange for lift
tickets:)

The bad part is that people tend to chuck all their emission equipment (or buy a vehicle without any) and then need to re-smog when they move or testing moves in.

For years Colorado has either wanted to expand emissions testing statewide or go to roadside testing and do away with Envirotest. In roadside testing they set up a sniffer (just like the one the tested on the I25 exit ramp to downtown Denver (around the stadium there) and couple it with a camera. It samples emissions as you drive by, clicks a picture of your plate, compares results to your year model and mails your polluter ticket. Texas may do the same in 3-5 years.

I guess the point here is if you remove your emission equipment toss it in a box and store it for later. Or at least sell it to someone who needs it. Testing will only continue to get more wide spread, not smaller.:(

·
Registered
184 Posts
Umm sounds like fun, good thing my cruiser rarely makes it to denver. I doubt well see much of any thing like that up here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts