Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has run CO2, or is running CO2 in their fox shocks now? I carry CO2 on board, so it's gonna be that or nothing to get me off a trail if one collapses. What longterm is gonna happen from running CO2 instead of nitrogen? I've heard some say that CO2 is fine, others only nitrogen. I know the CO2 will change pressures a lot more drastically than nitrogen and it's not a dry gas like nitrogen. I have both tanks, but the nitro stays on my service truck mainly. I personally don't see a difference other than a little pressure fluctuation, maybe PIG or others will chime in if they've dealt with it personally?

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
I have not ever owned a pair of fox air shock's but I would not recomend co2.If the temp rises outside or the sun starts heating up the shock's then they will get stiffer because of the pressure increase.Nitrogen really does not increase pressure very much in the sunlight.I have been doing tournament paintball for a number of year's now.So I have a lot of experince with both gases.The co2 can inrease a few hundred pounds very quick.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
42,088 Posts
I would would stick to nitrogen. During dynamic events some shocks will achieve internal pressures of well over 600 psi. I am not sure at what pressure the phase change for CO2 from gas to liquid occurs, however this could play hell on shock functioning.

Also moisture in a shock is extremely bad, as is any corrosion from moisture (not sure what would happen in an emulsion shock)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts