Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get my springs dialed-in, the problem is I can't preload the 14" springs without raising the ride height too much, and if I don't preload, the damn things are flopping up and down and getting in the way of the shock body when the shocks extend and then compress. I love the spring rate and the mount location works-out perfectly for what I'm doing. I think if I had a longer coil of the same rate I'd be all set.
Does anybody know where I can get some 16" or 17" x 2.5" coils made up for a fair price ? Or another Idea that will work ?

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: dirtrod ]

·
Registered
476 Posts
They sell limilt straps that bolt to the 2 mounting bolts of the shock which will keep the shock from extending to far.

·
Premium Member
17,783 Posts
Call Roggy Enterprises. He's got a few tricks up his sleeve regarding issues with coilovers. He also has killer prices on Bilstein shocks. 530-626-9451 ask for Bob.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
you can also use a 3rd tender spring that is totally bottomed out at ride height to stop the spring flopping around problem.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Originally posted by BroncoRob:
<STRONG>Hey Ant,
who makes those staps that go on the coils?
Rob</STRONG>
I think Sway-away does. Probably any place that makes limit straps could hook you up with one the right size. I bought some old racing seat belts (rated at 2000 lbs.) so I could adjust the strap length, seems to work well.

Ant

·
809 Posts
Roggy Ent sells Beard straps they are really nice

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies...
I've got some beard limit straps, but I don't want to reduce the droop any more than needed to protect the shocks from topping too hard. (I paid about $100/inch for the travel I've got, I hate to waste any) : )

The tender spring concept is what I'm looking at, but I'd think a longer spring would be easier to keep in place while thrashing.

I'll give Roggy a call and see whatsup...

I'm sure you can buy direct from beard

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
A longer spring of the same rate will not change the preload, it will just put the adjuster nut higher, you need to use a softer rate to be able to put preload in the springs. I you wanted to put a longer coil for the bottom spring to keep the coil from falling off the shock body, that will keep from binding but the springs will still unload. Swayaway has 16" x 2.5 ID coils availabe just for that problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts