Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which is better for geaneral off roading? what are the pros and cons of both?
Ive seen some sweet deals on air shocks so i was leaning towards them but just wanted to get some opinions

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think the biggest negative to air shocks is that they are prone to unloading. Side-hilling and steep climbs or descents can get more than hairy. I've heard stories of guys with air shocks in the rear descending a near vertical and having the rear unload to the point of flopping them over on their roofs. That's a fairly easy fix with a strap. Try to strap against that for off camber stuff and you limit your articulation though.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
I have airshocks and honestly my rig is one of the most stable for side hilling that I have ever driven. Its all about setting your suspension geometry and shock correctly. Most people just charge them with air and go, meaning that they have problems. I am not winched down in this pic.

________
fat girl Cams

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
comeonstart and JayH thanks for the info
comeonstart as far as front geomitry im using the polly performance weld in 4 link kit so do you have any tips as far as setup goes? and you would be able to share any shock mount tips would you?
has anyone heard of these guys http://cgi.ebay.ca/F-O-A-Coilover-OFF-Road-Shocks-King-Fox_W0QQitemZ150259009302QQihZ005QQcategoryZ107061QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Is there product any good?
Thanks for the info so far anymore would be greatly apreciated

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
none of those work. before you say search post the links right dumbass:flipoff2:
:flipoff2: you

comeonstart as far as front geomitry im using the polly performance weld in 4 link kit so do you have any tips as far as setup goes? and you would be able to share any shock mount tips would you?
has anyone heard of these guys http://cgi.ebay.ca/F-O-A-Coilover-OFF-Road-Shocks-King-Fox_W0QQitemZ150259009302QQihZ005QQcategoryZ107061QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Is there product any good?

and search

·
Registered
267 Posts
I purchased a pair of SAW 2.0's for the front of my rig last year. Ended up going F-O-A coilovers in the front and moved the air shocks to the new back half. When I spoke with SAW they suggested an angleing in and towards the center of the vehicle with respect to the corner they are installed. When I fabbed mounts for the rears, I ended up five degrees inward and five degrees forward moving from the bottom to the top of the shock. Hope to have the same stability that comeon has in that pic above. Looks good.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
none of those work. before you say search post the links right dumbass:flipoff2:
Well fawk, I hate when that happens!:grinpimp: Anyway, there's a bunch of good stuff in Billavista's tech sections. That is all!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm running them at the front of my rig currenty. They seem to be a good product and beefy. The only drawback is that they are 2,5" shocks and are so big for running at the rear.

BUT, FOA as manufacturer has dissapointed me a little, they claimed to carry a philosophy of making a cheap CO for anyone to access and they currently raised their prices, and not a little. Also I dont think they know enough of 4wd to advice on rates, per example. They seemed to be so kind saying me that they would replace a bad bearing that came in one of their COs and sending me the whole rod-end assembly (as it seemed also a mill failure at the rodend), but that was 4 months ago and I don't think I will receive anything. :shaking:

I was looking to become a reseller for their products, but now I guess I wouldnt. Good product with inconsistent service.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I am going to run airshock F&R for now because that's all I can afford. comeonstart gives me hope that you can make them perform decently if setup right.

When I do get a chance to upgrade I would like to try out a set of ORI ST Struts.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
I'm running them at the front of my rig currenty. They seem to be a good product and beefy. The only drawback is that they are 2,5" shocks and are so big for running at the rear.

BUT, FOA as manufacturer has dissapointed me a little, they claimed to carry a philosophy of making a cheap CO for anyone to access and they currently raised their prices, and not a little. Also I dont think they know enough of 4wd to advice on rates, per example. They seemed to be so kind saying me that they would replace a bad bearing that came in one of their COs and sending me the whole rod-end assembly (as it seemed also a mill failure at the rodend), but that was 4 months ago and I don't think I will receive anything. :shaking:

I was looking to become a reseller for their products, but now I guess I wouldnt. Good product with inconsistent service.
I honestly don't know anything about that, and I'm the one that WOULD know. If you need a part...PM or email me about it. I would think I'de have heard SOMETHING if this has been going on for 4 months.
When we raised our prices..the shock went up $5-$10 ea. I wouldn't say that's alot.
We have a springrate calculator that can assist with any springrates. You need to know the particulars of your setup though. Without them, we can only guess.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I honestly don't know anything about that, and I'm the one that WOULD know. If you need a part...PM or email me about it. I would think I'de have heard SOMETHING if this has been going on for 4 months.
When we raised our prices..the shock went up $5-$10 ea. I wouldn't say that's alot.
We have a springrate calculator that can assist with any springrates. You need to know the particulars of your setup though. Without them, we can only guess.
I'm so sorry that posting my oppinion and experience has overcome with that much trouble. Becouse we're all human and we can miss or forget things I think this is not as much problem as it looked to be.

As I've told to you by PM, Chris I dont consider myself able to do a rod swap in a CO. Do as you like. That was only the detail...

But I'm firm on the idea that you would transmit more confidence to the potential customer, by posting some builds or examples using your COs, some numbers, some real world comparatives...

Other than that, the product is Cojonudo! (superb)
The packing and shipping was perfect...
All the other little things are the usual with a new product application or company, only I wasn't expecting a price modification... but the crisis is for all we have to overcome it.

Thats all. punto-pelota.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
I'm so sorry that posting my oppinion and experience has overcome with that much trouble. Becouse we're all human and we can miss or forget things I think this is not as much problem as it looked to be.

As I've told to you by PM, Chris I dont consider myself able to do a rod swap in a CO. Do as you like. That was only the detail...

But I'm firm on the idea that you would transmit more confidence to the potential customer, by posting some builds or examples using your COs, some numbers, some real world comparatives...

Other than that, the product is Cojonudo! (superb)
The packing and shipping was perfect...
All the other little things are the usual with a new product application or company, only I wasn't expecting a price modification... but the crisis is for all we have to overcome it.

Thats all. punto-pelota.
You can easily do a rod end swap. It just unscrews off the shaft and the new one screws back on.
I don't know where/how we didn't get a replacement rod end to you, but I'll get one out in the next day or so. I sent you a PM.
Here's a few pics for ya...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ok, what where the rates of the two wranglers, the black first and the red following?

My setup height seems more like the red wrangler, with the upper supports just under the hood.

Its what I'm saying, that the CO himself its awesome, tough and clean.
Thats what I think the my problem must be something funny like a 350 rate coil with a stick of 200.

Just... Can it be that the rings and seals on the COs where so tight when new and that they require some kind of break in? Its strange...

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Ok, what where the rates of the two wranglers, the black first and the red following?

My setup height seems more like the red wrangler, with the upper supports just under the hood.

Its what I'm saying, that the CO himself its awesome, tough and clean.
Thats what I think the my problem must be something funny like a 350 rate coil with a stick of 200.

Just... Can it be that the rings and seals on the COs where so tight when new and that they require some kind of break in? Its strange...
No question, the shocks will be tight until they break in.
If you are worried about having the wrong springs, go put them in a big press on a bathroom scale and compress them 1". That will tell you the springrate.
The rates all depend upon planned use, and what the customer is looking for. The black jeep is a 150 over 200 on front, very common rate. I can't remember on the red one...but I think it was around a 150/175 or so.
You have a considerably higher rate at 200 over 250.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Ive seen some sweet deals on air shocks so i was leaning towards them but just wanted to get some opinions
You get what you pay for......

Air shocks are cheap and will never work as well as a properly tuned coil over.

·
Registered
138 Posts
motochris i just recieved the 16 foa shocks (coilovers shocks ) i mean.
i have never heard of this but a friend told me i would need some kind of sway bars if i use them with rockwell axles . i told him he was full of shit but then i saw you on here// thought i would go to the source i am running 4link front and back

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have been through this same decision and went with coilovers. Air shocks are great on a light weight vehicle but will not work as well as coilovers if your corner weight is much above 800 pounds.

The PIG has it right "you get what you pay for"

Coilovers may be harder to tune but are worth the trouble.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts