Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi team,
I,m in New Zealand and have a fj40 that needs a lot more articulation than the old original leaf springs can give. Has anyone out there had any experance at converting to coil springs without braking the bank. I am able to tackle most engineering jobs. Trying not to re-invent the wheel.
Thanks in advance,
Brian.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
4x4beast said:
Hi team,
I,m in New Zealand and have a fj40 that needs a lot more articulation than the old original leaf springs can give. Has anyone out there had any experance at converting to coil springs without braking the bank. I am able to tackle most engineering jobs. Trying not to re-invent the wheel.
Thanks in advance,
Brian.
Most Coil spring conversions for an FJ40 IS reinventing the wheel.

I would look at doing a spring over.

-James

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Swap in FJ80 axles and suspension. I think it would be the easiest way to go coils. The axles are already set up. All you need to fabricate is the mountings on the frame for the suspension.

I think it's been done on an FJ60 (Tippy maybe?). Try searching the forums...

BTW, Welcome Newbie :flipoff2:

Phil

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
CaverInaCruiser said:
Most Coil spring conversions for an FJ40 IS reinventing the wheel.

I would look at doing a spring over.

-James
Why do you have this opinion???

·
Registered
105 Posts
4x4beast said:
Hi team,
Thanks in advance,
Brian.
Here in Finland its getting very popular to use LJ70 or range rover arms and coils with F/BJ-40's. I have 4 range rover front arms which are going under BJ-40 project someday. I think it was at the beginning of 2003 or 2004? when laws changed here and now its legal to do such swaps without special permissions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts