Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - I've done some measuring, and I need some coils that'll be about 20" long at rest, and have a rate of around 150 lb/in...

Any thoughts? Oh, and CHEAP is the key word, like free would be preferrable...

Anyone know length and rate of stock 4 banger TJ front coils?? That's kinda what i was thinking of going with. I want to get em from a stock rig that just had a lift put on it...

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx for the link, but I think those will be too soft for my rig, i need at least 150 lbs/in rate. Also, the will be captured at both ends, and I think the rockwells would stretch aerostar coils too far during droop...

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
elf_cruiser said:
thanx for the link, but I think those will be too soft for my rig, i need at least 150 lbs/in rate. Also, the will be captured at both ends, and I think the rockwells would stretch aerostar coils too far during droop...
we'll see what my 60f does to em captured at each end:D .

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
elf_cruiser said:
Also, the will be captured at both ends, and I think the rockwells would stretch aerostar coils too far during droop...
probably break them in half.

i would look at a stiffer spring rate, 150lbs is very light and you will have a hell of a mushy ride with so much unsprung weight and a heavy body on top of it.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
9V said:
probably break them in half.

i would look at a stiffer spring rate, 150lbs is very light and you will have a hell of a mushy ride with so much unsprung weight and a heavy body on top of it.
My D60F doesn't seem to break my Aerostar coils. They've been stretched beyond 2 feet, and came back no problem.

If you're relying on the springs to hold up a Rockwell, though, you need to find another way--the Aerostars probably won't break, but they will eventually unwind. I have droop limits (RS9k's) in addition to my springs.

As for a rate, well... the Aerostars are a little too soft for what you're after. The Aerostar cargo van coils are still a little soft--the TJ stuff is probably quite a bit closer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
COILS

IM USING 8" SKYJACKER TJ COILS WITH ROCKWELLS CAPTURED TOP AND BOTTOM AND SEEMS TO WORK FINE. I THOUGHT ABOUT THE AEROSTAR COILS IN THE BEGINING BUT DECIDED THEY WOULD BE TO SOFT.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey Elf, the guys here are running 3" bds xj coils and they seem to be holding up fine.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hick said:
Another option you may want to look into is 4 runner rear coils.. there was a recall on them awhile back, so the dealer may have have some... for the wonderful price of free...

Garrett
I got a bunch of these for free a while back and I'm planning to run them in my rig. They are only 13-15" tall though :(

Tass

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
elf,
I am using ford full size coil springs for bronco/f-150 on my hybrid. The rating is 366 and load is like 1300..I made plates and pinned them on both ends and I am using rockwells now in my hybrid/s-10/cab truck. I put cherokee springs,aerostar,anything I could find in TRW"s spring book that was the ideal free and install height that I was lookign for that wasn't larger than 6 inches o.d.The cherokee and aerstar weren't tall enough and the weight of my truck just squished them down and they just seemed incredibly to soft. If you go with a cherokee spring I would recommend a lift spring.Believe it not I still am feeling like the spings am using still feel pretty soft.You might try goign down to Advance Auto. They have a TRW spring catalog and it tells what type of springs ends(pigtail for example) spring rate and load rate..The ones I am using are part number cc822. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
onetonwillysands10 said:
You might try goign down to Advance Auto. They have a TRW spring catalog and it tells what type of springs ends(pigtail for example) spring rate and load rate..The ones I am using are part number cc822. Hope this helps.
Just wanted to reiterate what Brian said. I went Advance Auto for my springs. The guy behind the counter will probably not know what you are talking about, so just ask for their spring catalog and look in the very back. Hundreds of springs are listed with static height, spring rate, diameter etc, etc. All the info you will need.

EDIT: My springs were about $60 per pair.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sweet! Thanx for the tip guys! I'll go to Advanced tomorrow...

·
Registered
737 Posts
RE ZJ 4.5" lift springs are about perfect for most V-6 to small v-8 weight jeeps with a winch. They rate 230 lbs/in. I don't know there static measurements, but I could measure them compressed, if you like.

These are about the stiffest aftermarket springs, except for the SkyCracker 8 inch XJ coil, which runs about 250 lb/in (maybe a touch more).

RE's are $150 a pair.

Andy

·
Registered
869 Posts

My D60F doesn't seem to break my Aerostar coils. They've been stretched beyond 2 feet, and came back no problem.

If you're relying on the springs to hold up a Rockwell, though, you need to find another way--the Aerostars probably won't break, but they will eventually unwind. I have droop limits (RS9k's) in addition to my springs.

As for a rate, well... the Aerostars are a little too soft for what you're after. The Aerostar cargo van coils are still a little soft--the TJ stuff is probably quite a bit closer.
This really a reply for Elf, but I'm going to use stock TJ coils on my 4runner with Rockwells. To keep the ride stable, I'm going to adjustable (in cab) air shocks on all 4 corners. It's a very poor man's adjustable suspension setup. The shocks are fairly reasonable at anyplace (Autozone) and should work just fine to suit my needs. (partial 4Runner 3-link rear , 4 link front, TJ coils, Rockwells, and 44's)

·
Registered
905 Posts
Use TJ coils...

I called 4 wheel parts a while back... and got all the specs for their Pro-Comp 4" coils:

uncompressed length=19"
Spring Rate=150-155 lb/in
I think the O.D. was 5.1" or 5.25"

They were about $55 each spring when I called in July 2002.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maybe this will help. I made this chart about a couple months ago. It shows the different TJ coil spring specs.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK guys, thanx for all the help! I just got back from 4wheelers Supply, and snagged 3 TJ front coils for $20. One is a matched pair, and the other is an oddball. The two that match are part #129AB, and the odd one is #128AB. They are all 17" at rest. I am gonna assume that the #129's are for a 6cyl, and the #128 is from a 4cyl. The 129's seem a little stiffer, but I don't know what the exact rate is... Although i would assume close to 150 based on the chart above. Rancho's 2.5" lift spring is about 2.5" longer than a stock spring, so the rate must be pretty close to the same, and the chart says 130 lbs. I'm gona go ahead and run the 6cyl pair that I have, and see how they work. Then if I want softer, I can find another oddball 4cyl spring, and swap em...

Thanks for all the tips!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts