·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
daw gon it how did you get picks of my lawn mower:rolleyes:

is it a oil field rig or maybe a crane ?

whats the deal where did you see it.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
saw it when i was crusin thru wy last week. bout time someone asked? gee,
for the interest you get another clue

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i like the axles particularly and the suspension too

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Is it a pettibone army truck??

thas what the axles, dub throw ram, etc. look like...

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
hummm low profile maybe cole mine equipment ? more hents:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'm a bricklayer and work in comercial work. We use big boom forklifts with axles that are just like those. Coarse our lifts aren't coil sprung they have hydro suspention. I've often thought about trying to get the axles out of one and putting under a trail rig. It would have super ground clearence,super low gears,four wheel steering and super super strong.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Interesting. Looks like a very low production vehicle, whatever it is. It's hard to tell without a side shot really, but I'll take a stab and say it's some sort of "off-road" military aircraft moving equipment. Low height, high weight. It seems to be cobbled together from different parts from different machines. I'm betting the front axle is the same found on a Cat rubber tired backhoe, or some other sort of slow moving implement. It also appears to have a cat power plant, and no brakes on the front diff meaning it would almost have to have planetarys and a hydro-static tranny. The 4 links seem to be off a semi's rear suspension, panhard bars or dogbone links (whatever the application) along with the front panhard on this rig (connected to 3/4" plate?!) The coils seem and links seem to be an afterthought for this diff, leading me to believe it's still a front axle out of a cat rubber tire hoe.

Wait a second, upon further inspection even the frame appears to be cat. You can see where the pivot would attatch to the frame for the front swinging suspension. (beside the oil filter) it's almost like somebody ditched the hoe body and built a suspension and body for a hoe. What's the back and side of the machine look like?

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
The bad thing with any diff that came in a zoom-boom or backhoe is the intended speed of the unit. They do not work well in higher-rpm environments. The zoom-boom already having large tires would make it even less of a candidate to whip down the highway with 35's on it. The back hoe diff may be a better approach since it does have 35's on and it does have the beef to handle 44's (or even 52's) in a lighter vehicle application. Never the less, when walking one of these for more than a few km's at max travel speed's the diffs get hot. This is all aside of the fact that they can easily weigh much more than 2000 pounds.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

we have a winner. i was told that this is used in underground mines and it is made in conecticut. its alittle heavy as seen here and i do wonder about the lube for the diff and high speed but i see this as an excelant trail maintanance rig. some outriggers a welder and a backhoe boom. this could be used in narrow canyons (i think) to move large bolders etc. perfect fo a private ohv park.

·
Registered
203 Posts
MR4WD said:
Interesting. Looks like a very low production vehicle, whatever it is. It's hard to tell without a side shot really, but I'll take a stab and say it's some sort of "off-road" military aircraft moving equipment. Low height, high weight. It seems to be cobbled together from different parts from different machines. I'm betting the front axle is the same found on a Cat rubber tired backhoe, or some other sort of slow moving implement. It also appears to have a cat power plant, and no brakes on the front diff meaning it would almost have to have planetarys and a hydro-static tranny. The 4 links seem to be off a semi's rear suspension, panhard bars or dogbone links (whatever the application) along with the front panhard on this rig (connected to 3/4" plate?!) The coils seem and links seem to be an afterthought for this diff, leading me to believe it's still a front axle out of a cat rubber tire hoe.

Wait a second, upon further inspection even the frame appears to be cat. You can see where the pivot would attatch to the frame for the front swinging suspension. (beside the oil filter) it's almost like somebody ditched the hoe body and built a suspension and body for a hoe. What's the back and side of the machine look like?
It probably is a cat engine but it is not a CAT backhoe front axle because they use ZF not Spicer and that spicer axle probably has interal wet brake in it. I think it looks kind of cool. I wander what they use it for?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
drive it in underground mines and it has a heavy lift hoist on the other side. the trucker did not know the actuall use

1 - 15 of 15 Posts