Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. I saw this and I'm trying to figure out if it's a good setup for the budget minded or a bad idea. I'm thinking it is slick, but not sure how well it would hold up and trying to figure out if there's some basic missing that I just don't get. I know it "works" because those that saw it in action (friends of mine, not the guy who built it) said it did well, but I'm wondering what the drawbacks would be. I've only seen it sitting in the shop.

So commence with flame or kudos: it was was a set of Bilstein 5100 shocks used in a coilover setup. Some coilover retainer mounts had been made for the top and bottom and they were setup in dual rate config with a bushing in the center. The springs were tuned and for a light weight zuki based buggy.

if this works, then why not use $75 shocks (or even cheaper) instead of $250 shocks? I understand that for some, the rebuildability and tuning capability of a true coilover shock is reason enough. but, for backyard engineering types, the idea of buying all 4 shocks for almost the same price as one is interesting.

I'd like to focus on the adv/disadvantages of using a standard shock. I recognize it won't be a nice a true coilover, but for a non-comp, beat on it till it dies type buggy, would this be a setup?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm guessing your talking about fabing mounts that would hold a regular shock, and a regular coil spring in a coil-over setup?

If so, I've thought about the same thing, but not enough to realize if there are any problems with it or not. seems like it wouldn't be hard to do, and it would seem to give you the ability to customize the spring rate and damping rate to what you want, but probably wouldn't offer the adjustability of coilovers. I might try something when I four link my rear later this year.

chad

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Check with Tony K. on the board, he had some collars made for this exact same idea. I think he had the whole set up. It was about 5 years ago but he could help you out or he might still have some. Why not use regular coils and good shocks?

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
seen it done on many diffrent types of race cars. works great. no reason why it will not work for you. as a matter of fact a machnist buddy of mine made some recently for his dune buggy that slip over a pair of cheap bilstiens. i will ask him if he wants to fab up a few more sets.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the fab offers, but I am all set. They are pretty simple, just a couple of tabs and a donut and some material wrapped around them. But someone else out there might be interested.

KYODER said:
Why not use regular coils and good shocks?
Basically due to space considerations, especially on a front axle trying to squeeze in links, steering, springs, and shocks.

Just wondering if there was a major flaw that was being overlooked, but so far it sounds like a "sure why not" kinda thing.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Another thing I thought of doing would be to use two different coils in the seutp. One long relatively soft coil, and a shorter stiffer coil with something to hold them together in the middle. This would allow the coils to behave like a progressive, being soft and flexy, but stiffer once it would come close to bottoming out.

Chad

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I did this a few years back.

I took some rancho 9000's and built a collar to fit around the body of the shock and another to fit on the shaft at the eye. Add some coil sliders and coils and done.

2 problems I ran into. Broke the shock eyes off all the time and the RS 9000 shock has the best welded eyes I could find. Second was the bushings wouldn't last a trip.

The shock really needs a rod end in the end and the eyes need to be something other than welded.

Stay tuned for some new lower cost coil-over shocks soon to be released.

tony k

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Take a look in your JC Whitney catalog if anyone still bothers with them. You'll find overload coils that fit your exact desciption.

Ken

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Got details?

No sneak pics. Product available in 10 days.

Bent and Twisted and Rock Buggy Supply will have some serious deals on them.

tony k

·
Registered
161 Posts
OK I got the flame suit on so here it goes.

How bout making coilovers with the collars but instead of shocks using the front forks off of maybe a Honda CR250 saw a couple of old mx bikes at the cycle salvage the other day and had that thought. make a spring retaining collar that has a halo type mount over it that you could bolt a heim to and on the bottom drill it out and add polyurethane?

Ok go ahead have your way with me.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
drag race guys have been doing this for awhile. Some places sell coil mounts that have tabs that extend down and mount to the shock bolt, relieving the stress on the shock itself.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
specs on the shocks that are coming out? price range (approx)? Size? don't need pics, but do need info to make a decision on whether to wait or not.

-Jack

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I like the dual rate idea, but i think that you would need to use 10 or 12 inch coils. I don't think its worth it unless its a dual rate setup.

TONY give use a price estimate, im dying over here.

Ian-

1 - 20 of 52 Posts