Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who else makes a good quality 2.5" ID coil spring for a coilover?

I need something 16" long with a 100 lb rate and the only company of the three listed that makes/offers one is Hypercoil....which is fine, more expensive but fine. They have a 16"x100, but I think they only come in blue.

Is it okay to re-powdercoat the spring red? I don't know if the heat process to melt the powder will affect the spring. I think they bake the powder at 425º. I can't imagine it would matter since they powdercoat them at the factory.

And yes, I know that worrying about the color is :rainbow: but the wife spent the money to paint the chassis and it was the only thing she requested after being very gracious about a 3 year long money pit of a project.

Personally, I don't think it would look "right" with blue coils either....here's a pic and maybe you'll see what I mean.

Although with the blue anodized collars, does it really matter?

Opinions?

Sean

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Was going to try to save you the headache, but SwayAWay (whose coils are red) starts at 200lb/in in a 16" long 2.5" coil. :(

Blasting and repowdercoating coils should be fine.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Scott....didn't realize that Sway-A-Way made their own coils....just figured they were Eibachs. Good to know.

I may just leave the Hypercoils blue....wife thinks it may look alright.

Sean

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Thanks Scott....didn't realize that Sway-A-Way made their own coils....just figured they were Eibachs. Good to know.
They may be private-labeled Eibachs; I don't know that for sure. More confident on that they're red. I do know that for at least a little while, SAW was the only place to get 16" coils at all, with very limited rate selections (the limited rate selection is still the case, but not quite as bad as it used to be).

Going with Gunmetalcruz's thought, Carrera's are silver (dunno if it's paint/powder/whatever) almost chrome, but they only go up to 14" length anywhere that I've found.

Now that I can see your pic (froggy internet today :confused: ) I see why you want red coils.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I'm about 90% sure the springs sold/badged as Sway-A-Away are made
by Eibach........................

--for what that's worth.....

--Sherpa

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont know who else makes 16" x 2.5 id coil springs beside Eibach and Hypercoil but I wouldn't buy any other brand of spring any way. You should have no problems re powder coating them, the sand rail guys do it all the time, just go out and use them to make sure you like them before you have them powder coated.
Thanks....I'm just hoping I can get them quickly....It's kind of a weird size/rate so I'm hoping Poly has them in stock.

Sean

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
I dunno Sean. I think i agree with your wife - I think the blue may just set them off perfectly.

You can always try and see if you like the blue and then if not get them re-coated.

I'm betting they look pretty good in blue

·
Registered
878 Posts
Last time I asked (a year ago) most of the springs were made by a smaller US spring company. which I dont remember the name of.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
blue coils and add a little white in there, you got yourself a good ole american rig! ;)

personally I think the blue looks ok, but the red looks better (and then you don't notice the collars near as much)

I'd almost go silver to match the TRs.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
I may just leave the Hypercoils blue....wife thinks it may look alright.
Sean
Sway-A-Way sells Eibach springs.......... They use to have their own line a few years ago but pulled the plug on them. From my expierence never held their free length or rate.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dave,
Got any 16" 100# 2.5" ID Hypercoils in stock?

Sean

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Schmozilla....

Thanks for the effort. It's only the rears I'd be changing though.

Doesn't look horrible though, IMO.

Sean

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
I'm about 90% sure the springs sold/badged as Sway-A-Away are made
by Eibach........................

--for what that's worth.....

--Sherpa
The sway aways I have are a different color and have taken a set unlike my Eibachs. If they are Eibachs I would say they are a lower grade.

I used krylon "Safety red" spray paint. It came out almost the exact color as my Eibachs and has held up good. Its used for painting construction equipment.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
The sway aways I have are a different color and have taken a set unlike my Eibachs. If they are Eibachs I would say they are a lower grade.

I used krylon "Safety red" spray paint. It came out almost the exact color as my Eibachs and has held up good. Its used for painting construction equipment.
Are you saying Eibachs are a lower grade spring? or the springs that Eibach sells SAW are lower grade... Im about to switch from Hypercoil to Eibach purely based on color preference...I figured if there was no grade difference then color prevailed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts