Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 yj. I have torn it down to the frame and built it back up with a chevy drivetrain d44/9". I keep kicking around the idea of running coil overs each and every day. I am at the point in my rig building process where I need to decide on what suspension to go with. I have only heard good things about coil overs. Right now I am converted to SOA. But, I would like to do something a bit different. If I decide to go with coil overs, how much would they cost? Should I just run them in the rear, and leafs in the front? What do you guys do out there? Just want to hear some opinions. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
If you have a shop setup up your links and such plan to spend 4-5K atleast and they just go up from there...the shocks run about $300 per corner and then you have to buy spring kits...

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would still love to know how a 9” is considered a Chevy component… but coil-overs do rock, try to do as much of the work your self to save the $$$, its not going to be cheap, but you will have some nice flex.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I loved the 9" axle. I wanted a drop out, and happened to come across a 9" for cheap. I know a machinist who drilled a 6 lug pattern for my 9", so it all worked out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
GoatFish said:
I would still love to know how a 9” is considered a Chevy component… but coil-overs do rock, try to do as much of the work your self to save the $$$, its not going to be cheap, but you will have some nice flex.
I think it is pretty obvious that he probably means a Chevy engine and tranny that it came with, along with a D44 front and 9" rear from various other vehicles. I think some people include different components when they think of drivetrain. Some include everything from engine to axles, while other probably just engine tranny, and still other just tranny back.

-Jer

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Leafs in front and coils in the rear is a popular with the toyota crowd, even the truggy hybrids. If you can't work out all the linkage geometry yourself your screwed because I don't know of any fab shops around here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts