Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious on what you guys think abouthe ups and downs of coils, leafs, and nitrogen/oil shocks... I'm building a custom rear suspension for my 94 XJ and I'm still unsure of which of these to run in the rear. I would really like to run a rear 3 link similar to clayton's setup, but have been guided toward long leafs in a few other posts... just curious if anyone has had good or bad experiences with any of these setups to hopefully help me decide what to do... I want a big lift... not some standard bolt on stuff... I wanna be custom and I want to have awesome performance on road and off. mostly off, of course. If I go with the 3 link, I would really like to run these nitrogen/oil shocks, mainly because they look like monster truck shocks, and also because they are easy to work on. I can change where they top out, bottom out, and compression and rebound all by changing stuff on the inside, stuff I can tinker with at home. The downside is that they cost more than regular ol coils. around $250 EA. can I get regular old coils to perform as well? and can I adjust them as easily? and with leafs, can I get them to ride as good as coils, and have as much flex?? Ive searched and found some good info on how to build this stuff up, but I was curious on opinions between my different options.... any help would be killer :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
QUOTE]If I go with the 3 link, I would really like to run these nitrogen/oil shocks, mainly because they look like monster truck shocks, and I am a moron that wants to look cool at the mall when I cruise for bitches.[/QUOTE]

You might want to hit the search button and do a little research.:rolleyes:

-Jon

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well you gotta admit there's always something to be said about parts that look cool :) Who wants an ugly rig? the main advantage to these shocks is tunability and self-servicable. just curious on what would be the best way to go about it here.... also, how big of a lift do I need to run like 37s on this xj and still maintain good articulation???

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yes, those type of shocks do offer greater flexibility for tuning and rebuilding. However, you originially stated you wanted to run them "mainly because they look like monster truck shocks".
As for fitting 37's..... back to the search button for you :flipoff2:
-Jon

·
Registered
65 Posts
Otis said:
Yes, those type of shocks do offer greater flexibility for tuning and rebuilding. However, you originially stated you wanted to run them "mainly because they look like monster truck shocks".
As for fitting 37's..... back to the search button for you :flipoff2:
-Jon
Try talking to Andy at CarolinaRockShop...he has 37s on his XJ and just built a WJ on 37s with coils. Good guy!

CarolinaRockShop

1 - 6 of 6 Posts