Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a beefier saw. Trying to decide b/t a Kama or FMB gear driven band saw or a cold saw.

Looking for some feedbak on the pro's and cons of each.

This will be for productsion cutting, a lot of the same cuts in fairly large batches. Speed is definitely important. Accuracy is important too, but only to 1/16's or 1/32's, not 1000ths of an inch.

Jim

·
Registered
220 Posts
My two production saws are Dake cold saws.

one is a semi-automatic, with auto vise, auto cut, but not auto feed, and the other is manual.

I have a bandsaw that is only ised to cut solid stock and pressbrake dies, it is pretty slow....

for production cutting, go with a cold saw.

Beezil
Midland Metal Products
Chicago

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. That is what I'm leaning towards...cold saw.

The band saws I listed seem pretty darn fast for band saws though, that's really the only reason I'm considering them. Check out the video link here:

Link

For cold saws...

Dake makes a 12" manual cold saw that runs off 1 phase power which I'm seriously considering. All the specs are the same as the 3ph version.

Another one is a Marvel-Spartan-Armstong-Blum 12" with hydro down feed I found. It appears to be in like-new condition and is actuall cheaper than the Dake since it isnt new. I cant find much info on these or how good they are though.

Lastly, a local place is having all their equipment auctioned off and they have a Scotchman 14" manual. I havent seen it yet though.

How helpful is the auto-cut?

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
all depends on the $ you wannna spend and what kinds of material you'll be cutting all the time. Cold saws are nice for tubing. but for cutting large quantities of flat bars and other solid stock a good $ bandsaw is the way to go. One thing is cheap bandsaws tend to use blades up really fast

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Beezil said:
I can get a dozen sharpenings out of each cold saw blade. try that with a band saw blade!
I can get a bandsaw blade for 20 bucks. try THAT with a coldsaw blade :D

-Scott

·
Registered
220 Posts
:flipoff2:

best band saw blade IMHO????

Lenox.......

starrett can bite my ass.

if you haven't tried one yer missing out!

·
Registered
220 Posts
shrock, I still think the cold saw is the perfect match for you, espeically production.

get the saw, build a material table or "tray" and a long squaring arm, with some kind of cool thing for production stops.....

definitly get on-board liquid cooling....

I think most of the dake models have this already

1 - 10 of 10 Posts