Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured I throw my buildup on here. I'm about 1/2 way through now, it's a little slow going being as I work nearly full time, go to school full time, and do jeep work on the side.

The plan:
-14 bolt, detroit locked, 5.38 gears, shaved, strapped, BTF trussed, C&C width
-44 front out of a 79 chero cheif, 5.38s, locked
-dana 300 twinsticked
-4 link rear, poly performance 1.25 shank joints all the way around, 12" coilovers with ressy, 4 inch stretch rear
-front waggy soa, 2" stretch, crossover steering
-homemade crusher corners with flare
-homemade tube fenders with flare
-RCI cell sunk into the floor
-37s on 17s

Here's how she sat before going back under the knife:

So far I've got the front axle hung, and the wheelbase pushed forward about 2 inches. I've got the d300 in, floor cut, and twinsticks mounted. Had to heat and bend all the shifters to get them exactly where I wanted them, but now I don't have any interferences.

Here's how it sets now. I've got to pull a leaf out of the waggys, it's sitting too tall for me right now. Just a note, those tires are 35s and are just being used for mock up.

Kieth Flux blingin brakelines:

This whole build has been on a pretty good budget I think. I bought a few bling parts I didn't need, but hell, what's one more week of eating roman noodles. :flipoff2: Enjoy.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Whats up man? Its D.J., I sold you that fuel cell for your buddys jeep a while back. Let me know if you need anything or any help with this project.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
and its all that lovely pearlstone color

get ready when my tax return gets back we have some suspension to build

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, a setback and some progress. I ordered 1.75" 3/8"wall tubing for my links and had them tapped at the machine shop. Turns out, my math was a little off and they're all about 5" too long, so no 4linking today. I did however get my fuel cell mounted, and sunk into the back floor. Pictures to follow.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finished making my brackets and worked on the 4 link. Pretty much everything is tacked into place, I just need to put brakes on, remove the axle and burn everything in.

All my brackets are homemade, here's a couple shots of the upper frame mount.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The past few days have been very productive. I finally got it sitting under its own weight again. The frame is chopped, hoops are done, and the coilovers are in. Lots of little things to do, but I could have it drivable by this weekend if I chose to. The bad part of today was that my spring rate on the coilovers are too high. The rear end is sitting a lot higher than where I wanted it. So, I had to drop another $300 on a new set of springs from Poly Performance. I'm going to tie the hoops into the cage for piece of mind even thought they are welded to the frame. The hole above the shock hoop is to run a vertical piece through that will eventually be tied into the b and c pillar, and then both c pillars will be tied into each other.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I understand that this is the most commonly used phrase on Pirate and you said this is a college budget, but, go for a D60 up front. A D44/14b combo is more than a little mismatched and your gonna be pissed when your constantly replacing u-joints and shafts in the front and the rear is begging for more. Just sell the D44, set a few more ring and pinions and built a D60. Shoot, by the time you've got the rear completly set up right you'll probably already have the cash for a front D60 and then you only have to do it once instead of pulling everything apart a year down the road to do it right.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I understand that this is the most commonly used phrase on Pirate and you said this is a college budget, but, go for a D60 up front. A D44/14b combo is more than a little mismatched and your gonna be pissed when your constantly replacing u-joints and shafts in the front and the rear is begging for more. Just sell the D44, set a few more ring and pinions and built a D60. Shoot, by the time you've got the rear completly set up right you'll probably already have the cash for a front D60 and then you only have to do it once instead of pulling everything apart a year down the road to do it right.
Yeah, I understand the 60 thing, but I'm struggling to finish this project as far as money goes. Later I can sell the 44, but for right now, a buddy is giving me chromo outters, so all I have to do is buy inner shafts, and maybe some upgraded joints. That and I have $350 in my front 44 total, from hub to hub with 5.38s. I think my 44 will be alright behind my little 4 cyl. I just want it done right now.

·
Registered
690 Posts
where'd you get that rear pinion guard/truss/upperlink mount?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I just want it done right now.
Haha..yeah i understand. And I feel better knowing you'll be running chromo shafts, just be careful and carry spare hubs and joints. Good luck on the rest of the build.

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
Nice build up!! Keep up the great work!! Im in college as well and I know the sacrafices it takes to build a rig!! The bad part is that mine is my DD and I have to keep it street legal in PA! PITA but I wouldn't have it any other way!

1 - 20 of 113 Posts