Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are trying to plan our yearly trip to wherever. Unfortunately, the only window I have off from work is the week of Christmas and New Years. Last year we went to the smoky mountains and only dealt with a little ice. It was a great time.
This year we are eyeballing Silverton, CO and then jumping over to Moab for a couple of days. I know we won't be able to do Black Bear or the like, but would it be a wasted trip due to the snow and ice? How about Moab? We would like to snow mobile and ski, but would like to experience the scenery also.

Keep in mind, we are native Texans with no real experience with snow or ice. We would likely be in either an Fj crusier or a Jeep Lj, both locked. We will also have a rzr in tow.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,717 Posts
This year we are eyeballing Silverton, CO

the only reason to go to silverton in the winter is to hit the backcountry ski area. being a texan, im guessing its a wee bit over your head.

you wont be doing any trails in the area. there wont be any "easy" jaunt over to moab from there.

this is what it looks like between silverton and ouray lst weekend.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/26621385-post20.html

many trails still arent open from the winter.

Moab wheeling "might" be possible, but again, highly unlikely due to snow.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was afraid of. Yea, I've never been in the snow, so maybe I should just hang further south. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
489 Posts
snow wheeling

driving the mtn roads that week will offer up a real challenge for you , over the road truckers avoid Colorado if they can , thankfully I'm an intrastate truck driver I can't avoid the mtns :smokin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts