Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice. I am planning a wheelin trip to colorado next march for spring break. All the trucks going will be locked up with winches, spares and at least 35" tires. But we are from texas and haven't wheeled in colorado. Where is a good place for some good wheelin in colorado? We want some challenge but don't have the resources for a narly hardcore trail. Thanks.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Spring Break is Jeep Safari, come to Moab its always a good time:smokin:
but since you asked about Colorado, around the Montrose area theres plenty of awesome trails to keep you busy for a while.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Best I remember, CO4x4.org had a trip section with pics and names. Might be worth browsing the pics and seeing if anything looks interesting.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Blanca Peak for starts...Iron Chest Mine trail...Black Bear Pass...Corkscrew Gulch...just head towards Ouray/Telluride and spent a night at teh Sand Dunes campground...lots of great scenery and some nice trails that are not overly hardcore, yet still challenging...

·
Registered
931 Posts
Ahh, guys, March is our snowiest month. Unless you like snowwheeling, you're not gonna be happy. I'd suggest Moab.

Mark

·
Registered
300 Posts
I know that theres some fairly ez... yet also some fun and challenging trails around vail and the camp hale area for mod diff., for ex the Holy cross city trail, I went there in mid july and ran up it alone in my Tj on 35's w/ just a locked rear and a winch, it was a good time but we did run into alotta snow... even for july so heed the advice about the snow. But yea the Ouray area has lotsa good trails do some research at listed above site and find out what your wanting to run.... aslo make sure your gonna get the kinda wheeling you want as stated above

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Ahh, guys, March is our snowiest month. Unless you like snowwheeling, you're not gonna be happy. I'd suggest Moab.

Mark
X2.The only trails I can think of that can be done in March are 21 Road,Billings Canyon.Both around Grand Junction.Could be snow on them still.
EJS is March 15th-23th.This is always a blast.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
www.traildamage.com

scroll downt to the CO section. They don't list a lot of the super hardcore trails but it's still a good resource. Just remember that most of the trails are still snowed in during spring break, so Moab is probably your best bet.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Sorry man. But ALL trails around the ouray/telluride area will be snowed in still in march. I strongly suggest black bear for those who live in texas and want to know what mountain wheeling is like. But I have never seen it passable before the 4th of july. The grand junction area has some decent trails prolly passable then. But you will be pretty dissapointed with a raod trip all the way to lame little GJ. You may take up the idea of heading over to moab for the EJS. If you have never been to one. Some years its like mardis gras with thousands of huge bad rock rigs. Every year we lose more trails and single obstacles. So if you ever wanted to do moab make it quick!

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
OH YEAH. If you want to do the ejs get motel reservations YESTERDAY! I wouldnt be at all surprised if they are all booked up already. You dont have to join the groups to do the trails for ejs. Just fall in behind them. Most trails are open to the public. We leave town early all week to beat the safari groups. But park somewhere in town on big saturday and watch the rigs head out by the hundereds. You can pm me and I am sure we would be fine if you wanted to trail with us.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
We tried Grand Junction and Montrose the day after EJS 2007, lots of rain and really muddy, not to fun for rock crawlers! That was the 9th of April

1 - 13 of 13 Posts