Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess these days this is non-hardcore so I'm putting this here. My brother, a couple buddies, and I are working on putting a Chevy 5.3L v8 into a really ratty old MJ Comanche that my brother bought 8 years ago for like $200. The old Jeep 4 cylinder was blown.

Step 1 was pulling the old 4 cylinder.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Step 2 was finding a donor vehicle. We scoured the online classifieds and lucked out and found this Tahoe like 1 mile from my brother's shop. This 2005 Tahoe has about 125,000 miles on it. It has the T code LM7 5.3L V8 in it. It had a lot wrong with it, which is why it was $1,000. Fortunately most of the crap that's wrong isn't related to the engine.

Traction Control light is on.
Stability System Disabled warning is on.
Service Brake System warning is on.

Check engine light was on for:
Random Misfire
Evaporative Emissions System Solenoid

The interior is pitted out, the rear brakes are basically locked on or just really dragging bad.

The good news is the engine runs pretty well despite the misfire and the body is damn near flawless.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last night we did step 3 which was fix the donor engine and start disconnecting everything.

It took a bit of trouble shooting. Evidently the previous owner was trying to fix the problem too. We started by buying new plugs and wires but we found out right away that he'd just done that too. Except the plugs were so loose that fuel/oil were up in the threads and we didn't even need a wrench to loosen them to take out. Properly tightened plugs and new wires didn't fix the problem.

Weird thing was, one side of the engine had perfectly clean plugs. The other were all black and sooty. So it was evident one side was running rich and were the problem. We decided to change the 02 sensor on that side.

After doing that it seemed to idle well and didn't pop the code again after we cleared them. So we took it for a test drive.

We made it almost out of the driveway before it went into "Reduced Power Mode" and was stumbling and running like shit. We scratched our heads on that for a minute or two before realizing that a clip on the steering shaft was perfectly positioned to hook the #5 plug wire and pull it off.

After fixing that the engine seemed like it was good to go. So we started disconnecting all the wiring.

Hopefully next time we get the rest of the deconstruction done and pull the engine and trans out of the Tahoe.

We're going to completely remove the wiring harness and reuse as much as possible.

None of us have ever done a project like this so it's a learning experience for us. We've worked on XJs a bunch, along with other cars, and we've pulled Jeep 4.0s and rebuilt them, but this is above and beyond what we've done before.
 

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top