Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Jeep folks, first of all I'm a Ford Early Bronco guy, but a mid-level manager at work who knows I work on my Bronco a lot has asked me to help him, and all though it won't help me to do this it will possibly hurt me not to do it.
Here's what he has:
It is a 96, Jeep Comanche 4WD short box, 4.0 Liter, I-6 (242 CID). 5-Speed Manual Overdrive Transmission.
Problem is from his description is it sounds like the hydraulic throw out bearing is going out once a year at $1500.00 a pop to fix, after the second one went out over 2 years ago he quit driving it and parked it in his drive way.
So is this a common problem that there is a good fix for?
He wants to know if I can swap in an auto tranny, what I need to know is what other Jeep vehicles would have an auto tranny that would be close to a no muss not fuss bolt in swap?
TIA, Francois.

·
Premium Member
8,606 Posts
WTF?!!!!! $1500 for a fscking THROWOUT bearing? Geez, how long is the line to stroke this guy?

Something else doesn't sound right, I thought Jeep dropped production of the Comanche before the 1993 model year.

It's no more than 3 hours labor to drop and replace the transmission. Parts? The last year I find Comanche info is for 1992, and I *THINK* that's that gawd forsaken internal bearing. It's under a hundred bucks. Having said that, the XJ gang with the internal slave has been having bad luck with the aftermarket parts. The D/C parts apparently have been holding up a lot better.

You'll also need the TCU and wiring harness in addition to the auto transmission.

ChiXJeff

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess what I’m wondering is, is there an exact auto tranny/t-case combo used in another jeep vehicle like a Cherokee that will pretty much bolt right in? with out to much modification like new crossmembers?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ChiXJeff said:
WTF?!!!!! $1500 for a fscking THROWOUT bearing? Geez, how long is the line to stroke this guy?

Something else doesn't sound right, I thought Jeep dropped production of the Comanche before the 1993 model year.

It's no more than 3 hours labor to drop and replace the transmission. Parts? The last year I find Comanche info is for 1992, and I *THINK* that's that gawd forsaken internal bearing. It's under a hundred bucks. Having said that, the XJ gang with the internal slave has been having bad luck with the aftermarket parts. The D/C parts apparently have been holding up a lot better.

You'll also need the TCU and wiring harness in addition to the auto transmission.

ChiXJeff
Well I thought I'd bring this back from the dead.
Yeah that's what he told me the dealer charged $1500.00 a pop to r/r his throw out bearing.
Turns out it's a 1988, anyway basicaly what I need to know is is it the same drive train say for example in a Cherokee for that year that the auto tranny would be a direct bolt in and what else would I need to pull from the donor vehicle?
TIA, Francois.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
tonto said:

Well I thought I'd bring this back from the dead.
Yeah that's what he told me the dealer charged $1500.00 a pop to r/r his throw out bearing.
Turns out it's a 1988, anyway basicaly what I need to know is is it the same drive train say for example in a Cherokee for that year that the auto tranny would be a direct bolt in and what else would I need to pull from the donor vehicle?
TIA, Francois.
Why would it be any diff? Its the same front clip :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,606 Posts
You're going to have fun stuffing an AW4 transmission in, you'll also need the wiring harness and TCU as well. You'll probably need the crossmember, and I *THINK* you'll need a driveshaft as well. It'll make the bearing look cheap by the time you're done.

It'd be a lot cheaper to find an AX15 from a newer XJ (my 94 is an external) in the boneyard, and rob the bellhousing, fork assembly and master/slave cylinders for a refit. This should be doable in a driveway in a few hours.

An 88? Ouch. Slave cylinder from Autozone is $150. Must be the dreaded internal slave. Like I said, get it from the dealer, they seem to hold up better than aftermarket.

There ain't no froggin' reason a throwout bearing on that 88 MJ should run $1,500 to r&r. That's worse than my g/f's dad; he paid the GM dealer $900 for a ring & pinion set for a 14 bolt rear end, then paid someone else to install it.

ChiXJeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts