Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been looking for a Vidmar box to hold my mill and lathe tooling. In about 6 months I have come up short on finding good options at reasonable pricing. So I started to think on Home Depot options, but have been unimpressed with the quality of the slide action on empty drawers when I try them in store. So I found this Matco box which fits my dimenisonal needs. I have some concerns though. Does Matco make a cheaper line? When I was in school, I bought a Mac badged box that was way cheaper than their normal stuff and the quality is home depot grade. I want to make sure this box is not that before I go look at it.

https://greenville.craigslist.org/tls/6059570321.html

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I don't geek out on tool truck boxes but the 4S is typically Matco's entry, allegedly somewhere between a Snappy Heritage and KRA. The 5S and 6S are supposed to be more KRL (premium) range w the 6S almost competing with Epiqs (and honestly I have no idea what, if anything, makes an Epiq epic).

I used (in school) and still use an old 26" Griplatch for my lathe tooling (in the lower) and cutting tools (in the upper) at the mill. That box is fantastic. Somewhere in the mid to late 2000's the Griplatch quality sank, but if you can find an early 2000's at least go look. The Griplatch is positive with a heavy but responsive feel and if anything the drawers move like they're on ice - I have to be careful not to slam them, even heavily loaded. That said, it's easier to build a solid 26" box 'cause there's less chance of flex or sag. My Griplatch is circa 2003 and it survived 2 years in school and 2 shops after that. I was in and out of it CONSTANTLY for all the little things a machinist needs everyday - everything from calipers to edge finders to nail clippers.

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
go check out harbor freight tool boxes. way better then the homedepot ones.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't geek out on tool truck boxes but the 4S is typically Matco's entry, allegedly somewhere between a Snappy Heritage and KRA. The 5S and 6S are supposed to be more KRL (premium) range w the 6S almost competing with Epiqs (and honestly I have no idea what, if anything, makes an Epiq epic).

I used (in school) and still use an old 26" Griplatch for my lathe tooling (in the lower) and cutting tools (in the upper) at the mill. That box is fantastic. Somewhere in the mid to late 2000's the Griplatch quality sank, but if you can find an early 2000's at least go look. The Griplatch is positive with a heavy but responsive feel and if anything the drawers move like they're on ice - I have to be careful not to slam them, even heavily loaded. That said, it's easier to build a solid 26" box 'cause there's less chance of flex or sag. My Griplatch is circa 2003 and it survived 2 years in school and 2 shops after that. I was in and out of it CONSTANTLY for all the little things a machinist needs everyday - everything from calipers to edge finders to nail clippers.
Good information, thank you. Sounds like they do not make an uber cheap model like my Mac.

Once I figured out this was a service cart I was able to find this on online. I feel a lot better about it. Not really ideal, but he seems pretty darn motivated and kept coming off the price. Seems like if I don't like it I might be able to sell it without losing anything but my time.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Looks like it may be the same line as my cart. They are nice and definitely nicer than harbor freight / home depot boxes. Like already stated it is not top of the line but they are nice. I have zero issues with any of my 3 matco boxes. I've had my cart for 4-5 years now being used all day every day with no issues and the drawers still slide like new. I wouldn't hesitate to buy that box if that is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have that same cart, but with a different drawer configuration. It's definitely nice. Heavy duty, seems like it would support a lot of weight on top too. Drawer slides aren't bad either. I would definitely recommend checking it out in person, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For $500 I brought it home with me. Other than the decals all over it, its in new condition. While its not exactly what I was looking for, it did not seem like I could go wrong at the price. I think I could easily get my money back out of it if it doesn't work out.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
For $500 I brought it home with me. Other than the decals all over it, its in new condition. While its not exactly what I was looking for, it did not seem like I could go wrong at the price. I think I could easily get my money back out of it if it doesn't work out.
Hell yeah nice! Enjoy!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I can't see the CL ad anymore, but I've been using my Matco box at a dealership for 8+ years now. Its a 2003 Proformance series, before they switched to the 4S. Its physically the same, except the top drawer had a divider in it that I don't think is available anymore. I'm super anal about putting my tools away after every job, so it's opened and closed a million times a day. The only thing I've had to do to it is clean it. Maybe I lubed the slides once, but that's it.

I got a smoking deal on it used, and have been happy ever since. I would buy another for home if I could find one nice and cheap enough.

Good luck with it. Post pics if you can

1 - 13 of 13 Posts