Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i didnt get any good play in the chitchat section...

what are the most common certs in mig and tig? i have a meeting with a welding school tomorrow to rearrange their curriculum to include less arc welding, so i can concentrate the hours in mig and tig. i need to know what AWS certs i should try to get in the process...

they currently have 400 of the 700 hour course devoted to arc, and ive already done enough arc to rapidly get to the level of 400 hours in just a matter of weeks. i want to get my $$ worth and devote that remaining time to MIG and TIG....

·
Registered
434 Posts
Don't you have a welding textbook at all? In the one I have it talks a lot about the certification process. And what is meant by the most common certs in tig and mig? position? If your book doesn't have it then let me know and I will look 4 ya

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i never bought the book for class like a dumbie, i bought a chop saw, plasma and grinder instead:D im a pretty book samrt kinda guy, ususally get away borrowing books for a bit to study for tests and never buying them...im more hands on, i took human anatomy and never bought the book at college, but spent more time studying the actual cadavers then anyone...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
In WA you get a WABO (washington association of building officals) but every job you go to other than a structural steel job that need's certified welders will make you recertifie to there standards.
HTH

·
Registered
113 Posts
what welding school are you meeting with. common certs would be mig uphill and overhead steal. in tig uphill and overhead steal aluminum and stainless. if you have time i would also get certified in stick and flux core or at least practise.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Why are you getting AWS certs? going to work for someone? or do you just want to be certified? I would say get as many as you can. The first one's I would get would be " plate ,1 inch, all possions " both stick and mig. Just depends on why you want to be certified. If you want to be a pipe welder I would get the AWS and API certifications :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Then most common AWS certification is D1.1 structural steel.
To get certified in all positions and unlimited thickness , you must pass a vertical up and overhead test on 1" plate beveled at 45 degrees.
To keep a aws cerification you must be doing the type of work you are certified for and your employer must verify this. If you don't, you lose the certification after 6 months, and you must retake the test (s). So if you aern't going to be doing certified work i wouldn't bother getting certified.

The D1.1 code replies to MIG , Flux Core , and Stick.

Other certifications , such as an aerospace certification is done through an employer , which means you test at their facility , they test it , you pass or fail. Plus you have certifications in different alloys , mil - specs, etc.

Unless you plan on doing certified work , i really wouldn't waste the money unless you want it on your resume.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Booger Weldz said:
i didnt get any good play in the chitchat section...

what are the most common certs in mig and tig? i have a meeting with a welding school tomorrow to rearrange their curriculum to include less arc welding, so i can concentrate the hours in mig and tig. i need to know what AWS certs i should try to get in the process...

they currently have 400 of the 700 hour course devoted to arc, and ive already done enough arc to rapidly get to the level of 400 hours in just a matter of weeks. i want to get my $$ worth and devote that remaining time to MIG and TIG....
paul- there are 2 jobs avaliable in bay area for a industrial mechanic / welder you have my phone number if interested. welding 8 hrs. a day for the rest of your life is not a good idea if you want to retire one day and still be healthy. as a industrial mechanic you get to weld but you don't have to do it every day- you get plenty of opportunities to to play with aluminum, cast iron steel and my favorite- s.s. steel. m.i.g, t.i.g,stick they are always building/repairing something. that is where i learned how to weld. what ever you decide to do- good luck! S.S. DAVE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts