Pirate 4x4 banner

201 - 220 of 341 Posts

·
Premium Member
'81 Shit Box
87 Posts
This is the response I got from Jeff:

There is an error with the edit feature that we are working on and should have a fix soon.

This is the expected action:
Members have unlimited editing of new posts for the first 24 hours after posting. Up to 10 existing posts (older than 24 hours) may be edited per week. More editing will be allowed as each of those 10 edits expires every 7 days."

Jeff M
Its pretty lame, I tried to update some different posts in my build thread and I could only do one post...

·
Administrator
251 Posts
Adding to the list of bring back the custom Pirate smilies. They are a huge part of our history and identity here. Personally I can’t believe Roxy hasn’t flipped out on you guys over her smiley disappearing.
Jeff the :flipoff2: smiley needs to be fixed, ASAP. Extremely important to do. Its the heart of the board, the soul of PBB.

Honestly you will keep a lot of members happy by getting it working. We both know its a piece of cake to do.
Understood and we have a debriefing today and it is at the top of my list for you guys.

I will do my best to see if we can get the custom ones back or at least the "signature" flip off.

Jeff M

·
Administrator
251 Posts
Correct the above is the intended limit however there is a bug in the edit feature that we are working on resolving that throws the limit error before reaching the limit.

Jeff M

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
This is absolute dog shit. Your employers are retards for deciding to change so much of one of the few remaining active forums. You could of continued to simply sell add space and profit but you've opted to ignore input from long standing, paying members.

Your I'm just like you guys and thin skin posts are insulting. You are a desk jockey hired to do this, not a wheeler, not a fabricator. You have no credibility here besides the power you yield which you flexed almost immediately. It says a lot about your character and your disregard for this community.

·
Premium Member
29,437 Posts
LEGIT and CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK:

Return the custom emojis - yes, this is a minor thing to many people, but it means a fuck ton when dealing with text only communication :flipoff2: :tank: :massey: :dustin: :roxy: :rasta: WTF?!? but we get 🤷 and 16 types of rainbow unicorns?

Allow for posts to be deleted - this is absolutely fucking retarded. why is there a limit to editing your own content at all? ever? in any way? This is a TECH board, it is important to update and correct TECHNICAL information.

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
This thread has been reviewed by them and I am also sharing selected legit and constructive feedback.

Jeff M
Prolly be able to find a gig down at the marina, polishing pontoon boats, or "Jeff's Tube Polishing", Better hurry the Canadian border is closed, no going home now.

·
Administrator
251 Posts
Prolly be able to find a gig down at the marina, polishing pontoon boats, or "Jeff's Tube Polishing", Better hurry the Canadian border is closed, no going home now.
Well I am in the US already and looking out the window at my ponton sitting in the lake now. However I prefer an acid wash at the end of the season.

Jeff M

·
Premium Member
29,437 Posts
For 20 years we’ve had the ability to edit, and it’s rarely abused. I don’t see why that needs to be limited now.
indeed 🍺

·
Administrator
251 Posts
LEGIT and CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK:

Return the custom emojis - yes, this is a minor thing to many people, but it means a fuck ton when dealing with text only communication :flipoff2: :tank: :massey: :dustin: :roxy: :rasta: WTF?!? but we get 🤷 and 16 types of rainbow unicorns?

Allow for posts to be deleted - this is absolutely fucking retarded. why is there a limit to editing your own content at all? ever? in any way? This is a TECH board, it is important to update and correct TECHNICAL information.
Noted and thank you.

See above about smilies

See below about edits.

For 20 years we’ve had the ability to edit, and it’s rarely abused. I don’t see why that needs to be limited now.
Understand and we have not removed edits entirely just limiting them. You will still be able to edit your build threads, tech info, classifieds, etc. There is a bug in the feature that we are still sorted out so that is why users might get that error or notice without hitting the below limit.

Current policy:
Members have unlimited editing of new posts for the first 24 hours after posting. Up to 10 existing posts (older than 24 hours) may be edited per week. More editing will be allowed as each of those 10 edits expires every 7 days."

Putting a time limit on editing does protect all parties from abuse and liability plain and simple. If someone gets into a flame war with a user and it gets to the point of defamation they can’t backtrack and edit what was said to cover tracks or save face. Likewise if someone posts pirated content or otherwise violating content. Or if a user decides they no longer want to be here for whatever reason they cannot suddenly shuck off the terms of service and try to remove all of their content.

Regarding the two case-specific items, build threads and classifieds, they fall under two very different schema. Build threads I will give you warrant it potentially however that has always fallen into the argument of “who do I want to see this and how often” because if people want to check out your build regularly they will. If you want new people to see the latest then editing won’t help you. Post edits do not update the forum index, only new posts do. That same technical logic applies to classifieds. Classified listings on a forum board do not bump to the top when you update the original post, only replies do that.

Jeff M

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,532 Posts
in that case 90% of the flaming and defamation take place in general chitchat. You can easily limit the policy to that forum/page. We’ve always been told to delete sold items from the classifieds and this clearly makes that difficult. Or if you want to edit the first post to change the pricing/items for sale. The edit policy really screws that up. Along with the delete policy.
To my memory only one user has ever tried to delete all their tech when they left and that was during the Lance era. Threads that were easily restored after he was banned.

·
Premium Member
29,437 Posts
Noted and thank you.

See above about smilies

See below about edits.

Understand and we have not removed edits entirely just limiting them. You will still be able to edit your build threads, tech info, classifieds, etc. There is a bug in the feature that we are still sorted out so that is why users might get that error or notice without hitting the below limit.

Current policy:

Putting a time limit on editing does protect all parties from abuse and liability plain and simple. If someone gets into a flame war with a user and it gets to the point of defamation they can’t backtrack and edit what was said to cover tracks or save face. Likewise if someone posts pirated content or otherwise violating content. Or if a user decides they no longer want to be here for whatever reason they cannot suddenly shuck off the terms of service and try to remove all of their content.

Regarding the two case-specific items, build threads and classifieds, they fall under two very different schema. Build threads I will give you warrant it potentially however that has always fallen into the argument of “who do I want to see this and how often” because if people want to check out your build regularly they will. If you want new people to see the latest then editing won’t help you. Post edits do not update the forum index, only new posts do. That same technical logic applies to classifieds. Classified listings on a forum board do not bump to the top when you update the original post, only replies do that.

Jeff M
your logic is flawed and shit. flat out, shit.

the only thing you had to say, that we all already know is, "edits don't bump traffic, new posts do" <- fuck that shit. the limits are absolutely stupid, in every and all case. 10 per week? To catch the .001% that might abuse it? Mentally deficient. Remove it completely. if it is so minor, error to the side of liberty.

deleting threads is valid for the same reason. If somebody posts up (and it happens OFTEN) "hey, can i fit this tire without trimming my fender" or some other stupid shit, and the first 3 replys are "die in fire, delete this nonsense" and they DO, then YAY! If we need to rely on a MOD and report to delete that, it often doesn't happen.

People being able to delete their own threads is the ONLY reason for "flame wars" and the ONLY way that the community can "self police" and keep itself clean. <--that is worth MORE than simply getting some new posts. That makes the searches function, that is what makes this site valuable and not just full of trash. See facebook for an example of overdilluted absolute TRASH. Fuck!

·
flamethrower
12,596 Posts
So if you need to edit a part number or a photo, we can quote the original post and edit the quote or update the info, and then it will be updated and bumped to the top.

Yes?

·
Premium Member
29,437 Posts
in that case 90% of the flaming and defamation take place in general chitchat. You can easily limit the policy to that forum/page. We’ve always been told to delete sold items from the classifieds and this clearly makes that difficult. Or if you want to edit the first post to change the pricing/items for sale. The edit policy really screws that up. Along with the delete policy.
To my memory only one user has ever tried to delete all their tech when they left and that was during the Lance era. Threads that were easily restored after he was banned.
4runnerrick and Trrrkkller (or whichever of seths multiple personas') are about the only two worthwhile folks who went scorched earth on tech.

NOBODY gives a fuck if people delete their whole life history in chit-chat. it isn't even enough to make a blip in the 'total posts' tracker bullshit, but it DOES generate a healthy board instead of a ZOMBIE

·
Registered
8,354 Posts
What a bunch of crybabies. :flipoff2:

Anybody that sticks around and gives it a chance will come to love Xenforo. It's awesome on a phone. It's too bad the site was allowed to decline so far before a proper modern update was implemented, it's about 5 years too late IMHO. If ( @AG Jeff ) you guys would consolidate the forums like it was before every little thing was divided it would make it seem like there was more site traffic and it might drive an increase in participation...you can always divide it up again later. Purging a few longtime crybaby members might help too. You really need to migrate the old smilies, it's possible.

·
Premium Member
29,437 Posts
this is the proper thread for bitches gripes and complaints. take your praise elsewhere :flipoff2:

edit: No deleting and edit limits of any kind are just commie bullshit, pure and simple. it offers no advantage, rarely if ever gets abused, but does provide confidence to the posters.

201 - 220 of 341 Posts