Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How wide are the comp guys these days? Outside of tire to outside of tire would be most helpful to me, but WMS - WMS is OK, too. I'm trying to decide how much width I want to lose. I want to be a little on the wide side, but not as wide as I am now. (I'm 92" from outside fo tire to outside of tire right now.)

J. J.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
i was ~84" last season, and that was WAY to wide (especially on YoYo's Dance Floor at the last ERoCC, I had to climb off the ledge...major pucker factor, and back on knicking a gate in the process because of my width, for anyone who knows what im talking about)...that was on 38.5 SX w. 3.5 bs rims...going krawlers this year with the tightest BS I can get, hopefully it will be better. Or better yet, sell my rig and get new axles for the buggy! (unlikely, just a pipe :smokin: dream)

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
The RockIt is 78 3/4"...and It's too wide. If you can get the CG down, then shoot for something around 74"...I'd swear Walker was even less.

·
Registered
280 Posts
RedBullJeep said:
The RockIt is 78 3/4"...and It's too wide. If you can get the CG down, then shoot for something around 74"...I'd swear Walker was even less.
I think Walker is 71".:eek: :D

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those widths are crazy! I didn't realize people were going THAT slim! You're getting down below Toyota track widths, if I'm not mistaken!

J. J.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
my truck on yota axles was 72.5" running a 10.5" wide tire, and 3" BS 15x8s. i liked the width for the one mini-comp that i did, still easy to maneuver but stable (for my truck, 72" wide and stock suspension height).

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm 72 in the rear and 74 in the front I'm changing the rear to 74 for next season ass end like to walk out on me

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everyone who has posted in this, if you don't mind, post a pic of your rig. I just can't imagine being that norrow. I think it would look weird, not to mention be unstable. I am just so used to my 92" and not being able to roll even if I try that I can't imagine being so narrow!

So the general concensus is that 80" is too wide?

Geez! I mean, soon we're just going to have 2 tires directly conected to the dif with about 1" between them! We'll call them bikes at that point.

J. J.

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
patooyee said:
Everyone who has posted in this, if you don't mind, post a pic of your rig. I just can't imagine being that norrow. I think it would look weird, not to mention be unstable. I am just so used to my 92" and not being able to roll even if I try that I can't imagine being so narrow!

Geez! I mean, soon we're just going to have 2 tires directly conected to the dif with about 1" between them! We'll call them bikes at that point.

J. J.

:flipoff2: :flipoff2:
Not mine..but from a thread that ZAGS posted

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Here is what I went from......85"

62" WMS, 2" BS and 42's

I really did not notice a lot of difference in stability, my rig is low to begin with.

I like the looks of it wider, but it works great in some places being narrower.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
74" wide sidewall-to-sidewall in front, 77" in the rear. Toy axle, 2" backsaced 15x8s, 38.5x14.50 SXs.

·
Registered
802 Posts
patooyee said:

J. J.
Keep in mind you did say "Comp Buggy Track Widths?" Most of the guys running widths in these ranges are able to reach their arm half way out the pass side of the rig while sitting in the drivers seat. Most well designed buggies are way narrow, sit way low(while maintaining clearance through the chassis design and tires) If you tried running that width on a sprung over, high stance rig, you'd probably spend most of your time flopping.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
not trying to take over this thread, but with a full width front end (69"), can you even obtain that narrow of a width? I have heard of people running 16.5 hummer wheels with a major positive backspace to get close but what about like a 17 with 5 and a half or so, anyone running that setup? Thanks, sorry for the interuption.

Ryan

·
Registered
145 Posts
YeeP-most of these guys are having them cut down so the WMS width is shorter.

I'm running a front 60 that is 69" WMS-WMS w/ Hummer rims (9.875" wide, 7.25" of BS, 12.50" tire). Although I haven't measured it, my calculated over-all width is 77.875". The front axle is a little wider than the rear, and I have the front spaced out .5" on either side for tie-rod clearance. I'm hoping that my new steering set-up will allow me to remove the spacers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts