Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is this the same thing as a pinion yoke?
I need to change pinino yoke on 14FF. Haynes says simply scribe the pinion, nut, companion flange(pinion yoke?) then count exposed threads. Pull all the shit off and put it all back on with new oil seal. Line up marks with same number of threads exposed.

That dont work if changing pinion yokes though does it? Am I supposed to change a bearing crush or some shit?

Charlo

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What has nobody ever changed a pinion yoke on a 14ff?
Maybe ill post this in the newbie general BS thread, I might find more info on it there. :flipoff2:

Charlo

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
to get it right, you MIGHT want to put a new crush sleeve in there yeah.

-Scott

·
Registered
135 Posts
if you have to put the same amount of pressure on that yoke to get it off as i did, you very well may mess up the backlash- luckily my axle was off and almost completely disassembled, but i needed about 10 hard whacks with a 5lbs sledge

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I pull the pinion section and support pinion from other side while installing yoke, do I need to adjust backlash still when I reassemble?

Charlo

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
It's not the backlash that is affected by removing the pinion nut, it's the bearing preload. What can happen if you get it wrong is that your pinion bearings can burn up.

The way to get it right if you're changing yokes is this:

remove the carrier (mark the adjusters and count the turns so you can put them back right)

Put an inch-pound torque wrench on the pinion and get a reading for how much torque it takes to turn the pinion.

Change your shit out.

Put in a new crush sleeve and reassemble. Crush sleeve and check with inch pund torque wrench until you get it back to where it was.

Note: it will probably take a LOT of torque to crush the crush sleeve

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Fawking pinion nut took 212 ft/lbs to remove. I think some of that was rust. Randys says 8-11 for used pinion bearings, do I use that or the 15 that my pinion took to turn? I never would have thought I would have to pull the damn carrier just to replace the pinion yoke. Oh well, might as well dig in. Thanks red.

Charlo

·
Registered
85 Posts
No need to pull the carrier on a 14bFF to change the yoke since the pinion has it's own neat little housing. Pull the 6 bolts holding the pinion housing, then just take the whole assembly out and change the yoke out on the workbench. Set the preload back to where it was before you puled the yoke.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
if you're using the same bearings, go with the reading that you got from before you took it apart (15 in lbs)

Yeah those pinion nuts are usually on there pretty good. It may have had locking compound on it. Not a bad idea to add a few dabs when you put it back

1 - 9 of 9 Posts