Pirate 4x4 banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
All good answers...but this reminded of how things changed.

Back in 1979, my first year through the Rubicon there were almost no tow rigs. You drove your junk to the trail. I drove my 1947 Flatty from Burlingame to the trail almost every other weekend. You drove to Wentworth, and headed to Tahoe.

In the summer of 1979, we planned a week long trip. We did Fordyce, Signal Peak and Rubicon over a whole week. We intentionally planned the trip to run the trail "backwards". That's what you called it. Doing it "backwards" on a Weekend was considered dumb and inconsiderate. We made sure our exit was mid-week, so as not to cause disruption to the wheelers, going the "correct" way.

A galaxy far, far away.
The good ole days right there!

Is the Post Pile do-able this year, what about a bypass for it?

Overall, how is the trail this year, any spots more difficult than last?
Did post pile this past weekend. JKU on 40s. There are two spots that you may want to get out and walk it first since you’re 35s and trailer. Bypasses available.

Trail more or less the same. Little Sluice slightly more challenging than last year imo.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
"Bypasses available" That's all I need to hear. Thank you.

On the one hand I do like the challenge, on the other hand while I am on the trail I am 2000 miles short of finishing my adventure.

Considered leaving the trailer at the campground (springs or Buck) Wed morning, doing the side bar trip into georgetown and return thru wentworth route w/o trailer, then picking the trailer up on the way thru to tahoe side. Not sure yet.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
given the vehicle I have, is it recommended to have front sway bar disconnected, or leave connected? Or does it make a difference? I've heard all different things, looking for actual experience

Discussion starter · #30 ·
bucket list item completed! Traveled from east end to west, stayed at rubicon springs 1 night, had the entire campground to myself. No bugs, cool temps, no breakage. Had to pull the winch out 2 times, and place a helpful rock 3 other times. Met maybe 8 others going thru the 'right' way. Did not go back thru from west to east, instead surprised my wife's aunt/uncle in visalia - they are closing their restaurant after 50 some years, had to have 1 more taco! Will post pics and vids soon.

bucket list item completed! Traveled from east end to west, stayed at rubicon springs 1 night, had the entire campground to myself. No bugs, cool temps, no breakage. Had to pull the winch out 2 times, and place a helpful rock 3 other times. Met maybe 8 others going thru the 'right' way. Did not go back thru from west to east, instead surprised my wife's aunt/uncle in visalia - they are closing their restaurant after 50 some years, had to have 1 more taco! Will post pics and vids soon.
Congratulations. Glad it was successful, which is primarily because you did your research and didn't become "that guy".

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.