Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 88 xj, am replacing to blown motor with one from a 97 xj
1. Will the newer motor mount to the older auto tranny, and if not is there a way to do it.
2. I have a chance to get a tranny out of a 97 xj, will it mount up to my np231 that came stock in my 88xj, if not can I make it fit

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Bellhousing should be the same.
New tranny to old transfer case will probably be a problem, output shaft spline count changed.

If you get the new tranny, you will need the new transfer case. You may also need the computer to control the new tranny, I am not sure how the '88 tranny was controlled. I thinkl my '91 tranny ios the same with a slightly different computer. am nnt positive but belive mine would work. Again I am not sure about your '88.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right, the bellhousing is the same, but the torque converter wont mate to the newer style crank. Am i right, or can I jsut get a torque convreter out of a newer tranny and put it into the old one

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Fordsux74 said:
You are right, the bellhousing is the same, but the torque converter wont mate to the newer style crank. Am i right, or can I jsut get a torque convreter out of a newer tranny and put it into the old one
The torque converter should not be a problem either if you got the flexplate from the 97 also. It will bolt to either motor. Or if you are using the new motor and old trany just use the old torque conv. and flexplate.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THe old torque converter wont fit into the new motor, the little male end is too long to go into the female end on the crank to make it flush

1 - 6 of 6 Posts