Pirate 4x4 banner

141 - 151 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well shit I guess I spoke too soon. It was running great last night, now I try to fire it up tonight after working today and nothing! I can get it to run like ass if I switch the distributor signal wires around at the ignition module, but it will not fire up if I switch them back correctly. I was having the same problem last night, then magically one time it fired right up and ran great from then on out.

Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is maybe the pickup coil is shitty or something. Checked the air gap and it was .009 (FSM states .008 to .016)

·
Registered
1 Posts
3.0 89 toyota 4runner ignition control module bypass

Im trying to do the same thing but I have a 3.0 my coil pack is good but my ignition control module is 400im trying to find a bypass 4 it any suggestions

·
Registered
4 Posts
instead of paying for a used ignitor and coil that will probably go out just like the one i had or paying 300$ for a new one i opted for the "easy" gm conversion . like seabass did but instead of using a 1000 ohms resistor and the stock coil i bought a coil for a 1973 chevy truck 350 v8 (or any round coil with negative/positive terminals on it) (11.99 autozone) and a "ignition module" from a 1985 chevy k10 350 v8 truck (14.99 autozone) .

your igntion hot wire (or any hot wire if you wanna have a toggle switch hidden some where) goes to the b terminal on the gm ign modu then from term b run a wire to the positive term on the gm coil. then run a wire from the c term on the gm ign mod to the negative term on the gm coil. then the g and w term on the ign mod go to the two wires coming out of the distributor cap. just use trial and error hooking them up, if you hook em wrong it will idle real high and fast rough, if you hook em up right itll run perfect. theres only two wires so its 50/50 not too hard.

soddering would be best on all the new connections along with grease, also on the bottom side of the gm ignition module is metal that is your ground to bolt it or wire that to your old ground on the fender .

anymore questions feel free to pm me
Aloha,
Is it possible to use the old harness to do this bypass with?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Aloha,
I have a 89 Land Cruiser EFI straight 6 got igniter issues. I'm attempting the igniter by pass. So far I had no luck. Here's what I'm doing: From the OEM harness I found the hot wire (+) black/blue stripe. I'm using the plug in from the igniterso I can use the OEM harness. So far I got the hot soldered to the positive coil lead that runs to the "B" terminal on the GM HEI module & I made the (-) lead that runs from the "C" terminal to the (-) side of the coil. I have 3 wires left to connect...on the harness side there are 1 solid black wire, 1 black with light green stripe & 1black with dark green stripe. On the ignter cplug I got 3 wires left1 pink, 1 white & 1 yellow. The white & pink are on the bottom & the hot (tan colored wire) is on the top & the yellow wire is next to it... right now I'm stumped... What do I do next??? Anybody know??? Oh Yeah...distributor got 3 wires...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bump...did this mod to my 85 pickup in the last few days and figured I'd share my experience for the next guy. The truck would not fire up after putting a dropping a Craigslist 22r in. I was not getting any spark. Replaced the Toy coil to no avail, and regulators are ridiculously overpriced as discussed in this thread, so Pirate to the rescue:D

Long story short, I did things pretty much exactly as Rock Zombie detailed in Post #82, using same part numbers and vehicles. I picked up the house brand over at Napa but he could correspond the part numbers to his own. I wired the +12v feed from the old green Toy plug that went to the igniter. As for the distributor wires, the white one goes to the "W" terminal on the ignition module, and the red or pink wire goes to the "G" terminal. It ran like ass when I switched them the other way, but would fire up before my timing was set correctly, where the desired configuration would not reliably fire up when the timing was way out. (I did this in the process of a de-smog and Weber swap too).

I cut out a piece of 3/16" alum to mount the module to for a heatsink, then bolted to the fender where the igniter used to mount. The NAPA module came with a little pack of silicon-type heat grease. I'll try to snap a pic tonight to share. Thanks to everyone who posted up in this thread and saved me some $$:smokin:
Aloha, I been looking @ all the posts concerning the by-pass & got everything sorted out except for the yellow wire...

·
Registered
1 Posts
1979 Toyota igniter module replacement

Hi, I tried the fix with the chev coil and chev igniter. Truck started and ran for 2 seconds and then no spark again. Does it need a resister somewhere to not burn out the new components? Anyone have a better solution?

Thanks,

Jack

·
Registered
651 Posts
This thread has been helpful. This guy brought me his 81 truck with a laser 22R. It ran like shit. Had 2 dead holes, I did a leak down test. Swapped in a good running engine with his existing distributor, intake and exhaust. He's got the GM module installed. It looks hacked but the wires appear to be in the correct locations.
It runs. But it's not drivable. I have a adjustable timing light. It will run with the timing at 8 btc at idle. But it won't rev up. With the timing at 28 btc it will rev up. While this is reving up, instead of the timing advancing, it goes retarded. If I set it to 28 btc it revs to over 15 atc. Obviously this is an advance issue.
The distributor looks like it's newer. I checked to see the vacuum advance is working. I'm guessing the centrifugal weights are working, they are present.
Wtf am I missing here?
Is there a different GM module to use?
I'd swap in stock parts I have, but all the wire ends are butchered.
I'm about to go find a donor harness, if I have to.
What say pirate?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and was wondering if the GM HEI conversion would work on a 1980 Celica GT Liftback with 20R engine? If so, please include details about how to wire it up, as I don't know if the Celica wiring is the same as the Hilux pickup

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and was wondering if the GM HEI conversion would work on a 1980 Celica GT Liftback with 20R engine? If so, please include details about how to wire it up, as I don't know if the Celica wiring is the same as the Hilux pickup

Thanks!:)

141 - 151 of 151 Posts